Friday, January 12, 2007

Folk Theatre: Behind the scene

I am very certain that the students who were involved in the folk theatre had learnt much.I certainly did. In looking out for diff people/groups of different cultures, I had bumped into so many selfless, non money-oriented people.The Lion Dance Group of the Persatuan Memanching Sungai Buloh is one good example. Some of my kids and I went to rehearse the lion dance scene at Sg Buloh. The kids (age ranging from 9 to 16) were trained to do acrobatic stuffs, played the Chinese drums etc (very2 young boys). I think this early exposure of culture (skills!) is very important and I am so impressed by the organisation of the Persatuan Memanching Sg. Buloh.They really take care of their young lot! (cute little boys who have a sense of direction so early in life)

I must not forget to thank my neighbour, Tim, who introduced me to these wonderful people.They are my brothers too! :)

Then there's this group of Iranians who are professional musicians (they have a rock band, actually).But I told them my concept of folk theatre and they were willing to come in, play for my kids FOC. One chap travelled all the way from Serdang to rehearse with the group. Apparently for the Iranians (Iranians in general), music is part of their daily lives. They play it at home, at weddings, at any gatherings. Music is not for the rich (like it is in Msia where music lessons can be really expensive). Hosein and his friends had to play classic/traditional Persian pieces at the folk theatre to blend in with Shahrul's folk tale of the 40 thieves. The crowd loved the melancholy tunes played by H and his group. H has cut an album actually, so, we were very lucky to have him as a performer last night. According to Anahita (who had introduced H to me via Amir, another Iranian musician), most Persian songs are love songs: love for God, love for the nation, love for the land, culture and peace. She translated one of the songs sang by H and friends: it's about the flame burning only to burn wings of the butterflies circling it.The singer asks why does the flame keep burning if there is no butterfly (wings of the butterflies) to burn. A colleague said how sufi!
I think it's so poetic.I wish I know what the rest of the songs say.I took Persian for one semester some years back but I could never go beyond salam! (now)

The Turks: the Turkish boys were also very giving. At one point they got me worried because there's a nice protest over Nasruddin Hoja's role.The Director ( a Malaysian young woman) could not find any male actor to play Hoja.So she got a female to play him.The Turkish students (dancer and musician) advised that they could not let this be...I think it's culturally offensive.But we have no male, said the Director.They offered their friend (from another discipline) to play Hoja. And language/acting training took place for the new guy who initially spoke very little English and had never acted before. :)

I think he did well (given the fact that he only had a couple of days to train).

The Africans and the Arabs: wonderful2 kids. I love them all.They had exams, assignments but they told me, worry not.We will help you. I think it's because in Islam, we are taught we should be brothers and sisters to one another (regardless of race and religion actually).You see one in need, you drop all your things and assist.It's so touching.

The Malaysians: excellent2 kids! They made the backbone of this whole thing. At a short notice (with budget constraints) they managed to put everything together and in order. They put in 200% of their time and effort.They will do well in their lives after uni cos' they are committed, creative, responsible, hard working, determined and selfless.

Thank you all! Semoga dirahmati Allah!

No comments: