Sunday, December 14, 2008

Brunei Adventures

Intelligent Muslim women
Most of the gals work at Pejabat Peguam Negara(AG's)


The traditional dinner we had at Aminah Arif in Serusop.
Ustaz Hanafi (TV personality but a senior HR Manager is an alumna)


Z spotted that 'anak damit' signage.Indeed there were many anak damit
onboard.Very noisy!


It was a bumpy ride home.My husband said the pilot was speeding. :))

We had a nice time in Brunei, mostly meeting people and making new friends.I had dinner with some 25 IIUM alumni in Brunei.I must say everyone has a good job (mostly with Pejabat Peguam Negara or Ministry of this and that.At the Pejabat Peguam Negara, IIUM grads make the majority of most employed other than UK grads.Woohoo.Canggih) I am so proud of them.Like most IIUM grads all over the world, they are well-sought after by organisations and employers. Syukurlah and I am happy for them.Many still travel to KL on weekends/short vacation cos' they miss our cuisines, etc. :) Will post some pics soonest Z is available (dia pi bday party malam ni).

I met up with En Suip and his wonderful wife Pn Laily and two of their kids (my contact through Dewan Bahasa).The eldest won a trip to Makkah for memorising 20 juz Quran (he's a hafiz).My daughter won a trip to Istanbul for memorising a Turkish song.Ahh..ternyata aku tersilap programme!
Hidayat the hafiz gave me and mom some air zam2, kuih muih traditional Brunei.His parents took us shopping and gave Nik a jubah (this family is so nice..we just met them but when we realised that my mother's medicine bag went missing while disembarking in KL, they helped trace it in Brunei and made sure the bag would be sent back to KL by tomorrow.I guess some people are born nice!)

I liked Brunei.It's so quiet and clean. The boat trip to Kampong Ayer was superb.I'd do it again.
We also enjoyed the museums.Biasa I jarang suka museums save for a few.I guess they have money to buy interesting stuffs.Ours is so cheap looking.Setengah tu gambar poster je (nampak sangat low budget). :))

Brunei is environment friendly.The Sultan tak kasi potong2 balak ke hapa ke.This is great news indeed.

Things to do if you are visiting over the weekends:

1.textile shopping (very da cheap...no tax so materials are really cheap) Go to Delima Complex and visit Nazmi Textile Mall.Don't buy everything there cos' as you go along, there may be cheaper shops next door.We made the mistake of buying everything at one go...macam giler. :))

2.Kg Ayer is a must.We took a package holiday so tours are included but we found out that it's the same tour for day and night (konon yang malam versi malam) We cancelled that ...sapa nak repeat the tour? Nik kata ini sebab dah takda apa nak tunjuk in Brunei.Hahaha.They could have been more creative, these tour operators.Byk they can think of.Buat la traditional show ke, traditional pasar malam ke, etc.

3.We went shopping at Gadong Mall on our own.Di Brunei taxi tak banyak.You have to book early (maklum semua org kaya and have an average of 3 cars per household).En Suip and family met up with us (I didn't want to bother them but they had offered to take us out.Malangnya kita dah booked taxi pergi dan balik).

4.Things are cheap cos' no tax so you may want to buy gems or crystals here.But my friend said if we convert balik, sama je mahalnya. :))

5.I'd like to visit the kampongs outside the city.How much is still preserved?

6.Masjid Sultan Hasanal Bolkiah is also a must.Such a beauty!

No comments: