Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Dr. Iman

Di keheningan malam di celah dentuman bunga api Deepavali (mcm raya Cina rasanya), I reflect on my chance meeting with Dr. Iman (not her real name) today.I had never seen her before but she had been here since the 90s.She took 2 years off on medical grounds.The busy body me asked sakit apa.I wish I had not asked.

She told me she was in coma and hospitalised over a long period.I asked again, you terjatuh ke? She said her former husband abused her.Over 19 years.That year, his blows were so horrible, she bled inside her brain.Went into a coma.When she finally woke up, her docs told her she would not have much time to live if she refused brain surgery to address the blood clot in her brain.She refused the surgery.Read the Quran daily (with meanings) and solat tahajud at 3 am every day.Her kids got abused too by the former husband when they were with him so she had court order to get her kids back.She filed for divorce ( her doc had advised her she could not stay with the manic man since his violence had extended to the children). The court made it easy for her to divorce.She completed her PhD while she was in the hospital..one arm in sling.After a few months, the docs wanted to scan her head again to check on her blood clot.It's gone.Docs semua tak percaya.Others would have been dead, they told her. It was her submission to the will of Allah, her tahajuds and her Quran readings.

No one would have guessed she was a victim of domestic violence.There was no sign on her except nur Islam on her face.I had an urge to hug her out of humility...that I met her and got Allah's message..go do your tahajud and read your Quran.MasyaAllah.Mercy!

So we left saying pls keep in touch with one another.She had remarried (to a very loving and supportive husband). She said if you kept your prayers, your zikir, Allah would place everything in order for you.

I believe.I believe her.

No comments: