Monday, November 03, 2008

Greetings from Seoul

at Itaewon, mcm pinang dibelah dua
(I bought the hat from the Korean lady)

Seoul Philharmonic Orchaestra

Pink Restaurant for Ewha students (Ewha is the
largest woman's uni
in the world.It is 122 years old)


Autumn, on our way to Seoul Arts Centre

optical painting..it changes colour depending
on where you stand



It's the same painting as above.Magic!


Mackcik dengar lagu budak2 ni main...beg mengkuang tu buatan Msia.
I gave it away as a gift to my Korean friend (Soonja)





Sapa pulak buat khianat ni? I wanna update, everything is in Arabic! Me no read or speak Arabic...yet.

Anyway, alhamdullilah the jinxed South Korean trip seems to be fine as Aldila and I arrived safely yesterday.This was what happened:

1.It started with Dr. June.This was supposed to be her trip.Her conference since she's in Career Services. She wanted me to accompany her.I was a bit too lazy to travel again so soon.So Dr A got nominated.Halfway, J pulled out due to some circumstances(by then I had agreed to join after learning about Sachs and Jack Welch coming etc.Nak juga belajar dari big corporates ni.After all, all 3 of us will be dealing dgn issues concerning grad. employability, industrial links etc).Then we got busy with the raya and iftar progs and the chapter launch in China.A day before we flew to Seoul (as I was busy teaching my last class and discussions with my PhD students, terlintas di kepala pasal registration).

2.Found out that no one had registered us for the conference! The deadline's over for about a week now.After class, I quickly emailed the organiser.Koreans being Koreans, so efficient and civil,I managed to convince the organiser to send the registration forms and emailed them back after office hours.There was no confirmation of acceptance yet.The organiser kata nak check dgn boss dia dulu.We took the risk and flew anyway (luckily I had arranged to meet the Director of Global Affairs of a women's uni and another research meeting with my Korean friends prior to the conference.I thought if I missed the conference, at least I had two equally important meetings.But I was determined to fight my way through the conference upon arrival.I told the organiser I'd go to their office and pay up the special lecture fee upon arrival).

3.The other jinx was: Aldila rang me on day of departure to say that she may not be able to join me on the trip sebab she sprained her ankle and her toe got really swollen! I just went whaaat?? I'm not going alone on this trip.I was not even in the pic. in the first place. I was trying to make the trip worth more than it is..with the two meetings I arranged.Haiya...Anyway I told her pi check with the doc and ask the fitness to travel.If you need to be on a wheel chair, be on it but I want you with me (polite tone). Thank God, she sms-ed me after her visit with her doc that it's OK to travel and that a wheel chair was not needed. Smile.

So here we are...plodding along with our plans.We met the conference secretariat yesterday (the conference venue is just across our hotel..initially we were told our hotel was some 10 km away.Itupun satu jinx!) and they were impressed with our determination! Hahaha.Syukur alhamdulillah we'll get to attend our sessions and I pray that we'll come back, inspired.

We were in Itaewon looking for halal restaurant/s last nite.Took the subway across the river.Itaewon is on the other side of Seoul.Very happening place.Very lively and so global.So many Africans too.I'm curious why they are in Seoul.What business? Got to eat bryani at a Pakistani restaurant near the mosque.The Africans have their African restaurant too.Music was good.Almost like in the Carribean.Will find out from Soh Hee (who I will meeting today to discuss my woman's research cluster project) about the African link.

2 comments:

Nik Nor Zafirah said...

yay our school team just booked a ticket to the FINALS of the debate competition against perak.

we have a really big chance of bringing back the trophy for the 3rd time.

wish us all the best!
love ya ibu =)

Faridah said...

hey congrats!!! Doa banyak2.Did you get to speak?

Kalau kalah pun still a champion, right? Then Perak pulls out, you get to go against Planet Mars.Hahaha