Sunday, August 21, 2011

My iftar with Rahoma Orphanage

IIUM facilitators




Shamsi on solat (Ali is at the far end)
Jabber, braving his dakwah work

the little ones loved Kak Farah


Cherno survived his non-English


speaking audience






The boys from the Dakwah Workshop and I set up a mailinglist and a group to put skills to practice.We found an orphanage near IIUM to work with so yesterday all 8 of us (with Dr S as a volunteer counselor) started 'work' at the orphanage at 11 am.It's run by a Dato' who shares the same name as me (tapi dia keturunan Pakistan and hence, iftar was her nice Pakistani bryani gam from her famous restaurant in Taipan.Wough, nak lagi!)

Budak2 ni (mostly gals cos' the boys didn't turn up except for 6 org) mula2 like blur but my students pandai warmed them up.By end of day, semua were clingy to their abang2 and kakak (Farah my RA was the only female facilitator) and makcik Saodah and me (Dr S handled the single moms' group.I nampak dari jauh agak traumatic..a couple broke down ...Dr S is trained so dia nampak cool je.Dr S pun single mom so I didn't want to interfere their session so that semua org could express and share their probs).Yang agak mencabar, the male facilitators (my students) semua foreigners and spoke no Malay.But Farah did a good job translating.Occasionally I jumped in as well.We really had fun.I tak larat and balik rumah kejap by 5 pm but my students (esp. Ali yang kasi talk on iman and why we must bersyukur jadi Muslims and he was also the imam for jumaah prayer) tak tau penat.I nak bayar upah pun depa tolak.I am so proud of them! (postgrads except for Farah who is only in her year 3 and Shamsi who just graduated.Cerah masa depan budak2 ni).

Sesi belah petang was on solat: their bacaan and other rituals related to wudhu' and solat were observed (practical).I learnt new things too!

Ali's so sweet, read a long doa for me..twice..sekali masa hujan turun..he said most mustajab kalau doa masa ni and sekali lepas Maghrib (I tak minta pun) but Ali memang mcm tu.Dia mcm looks up to me.Haha.May Allah bless him too.Dia la yang I bawak balik beraya ke kampong I with 3 other foreign students dulu (and did a nice African dance at the family bar- b - q).

Back at home, my sis in law buat kenduri aqiqah.I arrived late with Makoto, who wanted to follow me home for the weekend (makan susah kat campus di bulan ramadan.Dia dah missed byk lunch and looks cengkung).

Nasib mak mentua sporting.Wough, the kurmak and kari lamb sedap giler! (la ni kalau buat aqiqah, tukang sembelih masak siap2.You just order on ph ckp saya nak aqiqah anak.Pay up melalui bank ke hapa ke, then they will deliver lauk dah masak to your house.Phyuiyooo..so easy beranak these days)

3 comments:

Anonymous Devil said...

i'm glad that those international students could get involved in something like that.

sometimes i sympathy with them. i know most of them want to join community service clubs like karisma club, akhi club, etc. dekat iium memang banyak kelab2 ni. but the problem is with the medium of communication. i think almost all of the community service clubs use malay. not because they want it to be like that. but because the community that they're going to serve mostly are muslims who cannot speak english well.

so yeah, it's good that there's a programme like the one that you had ni.

Faridah said...

Xlanx: it's a myth that you have to know the language spoken by people you serve.I think Cerno had just proven that one could survive without so much local language (he taught his group how to solat without speaking any malay ..the boys faham sikit2 English but watch his body lang most of the time) Tu yang I impressed sesangat tuh.Nak gelak pun ada tengok itik dgn ayam berkomunikasi but they bonded.The kids loved him (and their other facilitators) so much.

Anonymous Devil said...

eh. i just realised. grammar mistake. i sympathise. hehe. tu la kejap cakap melayu kejap cakap english.