Monday, April 07, 2008

Salam from Jakarta

Me, at the hotel


Habiburrahman El-Shirazy, author of Ayat-ayat Cinta (rep. 31 times, the movie, a blockbuster -- watched by the Prez and paupers alike)


Eka (of Flinders days) and me.Eka's husband will soon be posted to Mexico City


Barbecued gold fish I ate with Yuli at Taman Ismail Marzuki (T.I.M)
-- I hope it was not somebody's pet

I think this is the tugu of liberty (taken from my hotel window)


The biggest mosque in Southeast Asia (6 floors)


With Jas' mom at our hotel


Malaysian delegates (and CEOs of SEA Language Centres) at the Southeast Asian Language and Literature meeting





Salam,

I'm writing from Jakarta.Today is my 3rd day here.Jakarta is not cheap.Or was I brought to expensive places? Even the street bazaars were not cheap (perhaps I was too dressed up like wanita kaya?) No wonder Janet said she was a Carrefour gal whenever in Jakarta.She just could not be bothered to haggle with prices with the retailers.You just can't win with them.Too polished.

This is the hotel I'm at http://www.hotelborobudur.com/default1.asp
The garden is so beautiful (reminds me of Hilton in Istanbul) Even the strict security checks remind me of Hilton in Istanbul (so many Americans here..there's a group of American military men..doing some cooperation with Indonesian militer)

I met the writer of Ayat2 Cinta at breakfast (his book was reprinted 31 times) And I saw his blockbuster movie on day one (didn't waste any time!) Cried throughout the movie.This movie can beat Fitna at any time.The movie is authentically Islamic and well-researched. :)


The seminar I'm at will be attended by 300 Deans from universities all over Indonesia.3 Ministers from Msia, Indonesia and Brunei are also here.I have many butterflies in my tummy now. :)

More later.

4 comments:

BICARA RASA said...

salam from malaysia (iium)

how's ur conference.. best ke... rasa-rasa nak balik cepat ke lambat lagi... la ne kat malaysia hujan ribut aje... tak tau la apa maksudnya..

Faridah said...

kat jakarta pun.Banjir di setengah kawasan.Katanya sebelum kemarau datang.

Jakarta best sebab jumpa kawan2 lama (ada yang tak jumpa sejak 11 tahun yang lampau).Nanti cerita.

meizanlieyna said...

salam Faridah,

saya Meizan student USM,
saya akan ke Cornell University 26may 08 ini. ada tak contact student malaysia di sana.
terima kasih.
email saya mei_zan@yahoo.co.uk
0124022003

Faridah said...

I must write these names down in case I forget the next time I go to Jakarta:

1.Nasi Padang best: Bundo Sati near Tugu Tani area, close to Hotel Borobudur.

2. 24 hours cafe that serves roti canai, mertabak, satay madura: possibly Jalan Sabang dekat Sarinah (shopping complex yang mahal tapi has nice things)

3.Tempat jual kain semayang yang murah but must know how to bargain: mangga dua

4.For arty crafty and ikan mas bakar and kangkong goreng: T.I.M. (Taman Ismail Marzuki)