Monday, November 26, 2007

Mabuhay Manila!

The choir which sang folk songs from Asian countries


From left: Eugen (Germany), Baibonn (Philippines), me (Malaysia), Chan (Vietnam) and Harry (Australia)




I just got home from a symposium in Manila.Second visit to this land of beautiful and hospitable people (although a friend told me they were also constantly at each other's throat over petty things).I met up with some wonderful people I met 5 years ago.Krip, Jimmy, Danton and George (G and his tunang came to my hotel) And oh! Chan was there too and we met Eugen at Starbucks, Megamall.Finally! Pics as above.

I got lucky with Dr Mariam's choice (Baibonn took me around.What a nice, crazy woman she is! We shed tears together at Hossein's as we ate our lamb bryani.She told me about her mother, butchered mercilessly in the 1970s and how she escaped marriage at 9 or 10) She showed me how Manila had progressed.I love their malls which are shopper-friendly (Trinoma has beautiful, spacious gardens.Baibonn says there are more but we don't have time to visit them all.Prices are cheaper in Manila than in KL, folks).

The symposium itself was nicely organised.I also found out who my real friends were and what made genuine scholars genuine. If they are reading this, wave!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Salam
Terbaca hari ini
http://www.bharian.com.my/Current_News/BH/Thursday/Sastera/20071129091239/Article

Faridah said...

Thanks for the news, Suzana.We knew Mitag was coming and how it changed course and Manila would not be affected.I left before Mitag hit.I'm glad there are no casualities like those in Bangladesh.Such is life...but the Filipinos take everything in stride.I didn't see anyone panicking in Manila.