Thursday, October 01, 2009

Strong tremor in Kota Damansara

I didn't feel it but hubby rang around 6.15 pm kata office dia kat Jalan Raja Laut bergegar kuat.I looked outside and yes, langit was pelik.Yellowish then nampak muram.

Nak kiamat?

Then our new Bibik told me at around lunch time, she felt a strong tremor too (dia terhuyong hayang) and the chandelier pun berhayun2.The cup in my kitchen cabinet jatuh (nasib tak pecah!)
I told Nik.Nik kata jgn percaya sgt Bibik tu (cos' all reports said semua orang rasa tremors jam 6.15 pm ke atas.Takda sapa reported strong tremor at lunch time) But I believed Bibik.Org macam dia takkan menipu (dia buta hurup).So pagi ni I googled to check on what time Padang punya earthquake and what time American Samoa punya quake.Samoa's came much earlier.So is it possible the tremor felt by Bibik was an aftershock of Samoa's quake.Kalau betul, kawasan rumah I prone to more tremors and kalau kuat lagi,mungkin boleh terbelah bumi! Masa tsunami 2004 pun the flats on the other side of the road pun terok kena.Fault line ke?

So I rang Jabatan Bomba and Jabatan Metereology to give my report.Told them to document reports made by callers like me of areas yang prone to strong tremors agar in the future, they can alert people to take extra precaution ke.We don't even know what to do if strong tremors happen.I dengar radio kata it's not safe to menyorok bawah meja (door frames are more secure).Ada juga kata stay in the car and don't go out sebab takut pokok or bangunan hempap (but kalau stay in the car, lagi mati katak if building/pokok jatuh atas kita)

Dalam keadaan sekarang, semua ilmu tentang conventional architecture/built environment mungkin kena revise.I dengar only KLCC yang dibina to withstand earthquakes.

Budak2 sekolah and the public must also be educated what to do when we go through what we went through yesterday (ada news I terbaca a pregnant woman terperangkap for 1 hour between her door and her grill door.Nasib she had her mobile ph.She was able to call her hubby who rang bomba to cut the padlock.If anything happened (fire or the building collapsed) she'd be a gone cookie.

4 comments:

Iskandar Syah Ismail aka DR Bubbles said...

Di Seri Kembangan pun. bergegas turun ke bawah bila rasa bangunan bergoyang semalam around 6pm.

Terus pegi kedai mamak minum teh tarik sambil menengok-nengok ke atas takut-takut bangunan tumbang.

Teringat pada Pak Afdhal, tourist guide yang jujur di Bukittinggi. Tried to reach him via phone tak dapat-dapat. It remind me of my uncle's remark masa Raya baru-baru ini,

" Belajar guna radio ham, handphone lines bila disaster tak boleh pakai". Dia memang kaki radio ham.

Faridah said...

Metereology Dept rang me this morning.You should report your experience.They need the aduan to chart earth movement, etc.

Maid mak I lari pagi tadi.I suspect it's another scam by maid agencies.Tactic: they will withhold maid's passport konon nak buat legal docos.Then maid will run after we have paid RM7K or so.Kita pulak cannot report to police sebab nanti kita yang kena (cos' of maid's "illegal" status)But my former student (now with one Kementerian) said we should just report (to stop further scams)Memang kita nak legalise pun the whole thing tapi agency yang menipu.Terok, kan?

Iskandar Syah Ismail aka DR Bubbles said...

La, ye ke? Ish haru betul agency ni.tak berkat. by the way , esok i pergi ke Padang dengan two volunteers to help out in anyway we can.

Isnin balik sini.

Faridah said...

I have two rawa-blooded sisters who looked at the devils in the eye today.Went looking for the agent (rumahnya mcm English cottage, hasil makan duit haram!).My sisters made the police report (after consulting with police and immigration friends and my former student yang kerja one Ministry).We have to stop orang lain dari terkena.

Happy to know you are doing something for Padang.UIA pun will send aid.We have alumni there.