Saturday, December 10, 2016

MoAs and MoUs

Sometimes I have to sit in for my Dean.Sometimes caught off guard to brief visiting delegates from anywhere: OIC, Indonesia, Libya, Tunisia. Then, you'll hear me like an old record, playing the same song.Tapi on good days, I would add new things like recently with the group from Tunisia.They didn't speak any English, I didn't speak any Arabic.Or French.Yang datang semua men (but nice and respectful of what I said). Their uni was older than Al Azhar. But the first uni in Morocco was built by a woman who originally came from Tunisia.And Ibnu Khaldun was Tunisian. So yes, they must be bright people with really good genes. They will return with projects with my Kulliyyah.Prof Mesawi (who acted as their guide and interpreter) will be responsible for this.I love the energy!

Not too long before this, a group of academics from Libya came to visit too.One had worked in the US for a long time, served the previous Libyan government as a Minister and now a consultant to the current government.He spoke English but his friend knew Arabic and French. I told them sebelum ni group Libya pun datang (when I was at Cerdas)but nothing came out of the meeting.Rupa2nya itu group sebelum revolution.I ni mmg blur when it comes to warring countries.Tak terkejar.Kejap perang, kejap tak perang.But we are happy to work with anyone except two days ago in a meeting at MITI, we were told soon the Strategic Trade Act would get to us at the unis.Certain progs (basically science and technology- based) and countries (like North Korea) will be on the authorities' watchlist - adalah pantang larangnya nanti.I asked where were we taking research culture in this country with this kind of control and restraints? Berapa byk laws lagi kita perlu? What has trade to do with education? When research products become trade products, ikut le existing trade law.Apparently the fear of certain knowledge being passed on to terrorists was the real concern.Eik, how do we know our student is a terrorist/not? And I'm sure there's enough surveillance and laws without another law?

I'm just a messenger.My top bosses will handle the matter.Both Ministries should talk to one another actually.Minister to Minister.Then just instruct.But I appreciate them approaching the communities dulu.




No comments: