Monday, August 06, 2018

Pulang the movie

Since everyone is talking about it, Nik and I decided to check it out.Both of us think it's overrated. The making of it we loved (not being technical people, we thought it was well done.I read a review that it's full of technical shortcomings.We didn't see them. Heh heh)

I was not convinced it's love that kept Othman away from pulang. But how do you criticise a film based on a real story and Othman is long gone? tak sopan kan? But my gfs and I had a nice discussion on this. They loved the film but I told them why I wasn't sympathetic of Othman. I was over his wife and son. Plot dia tak masuk akal. There were too many gaps before we could fully appreciate the plight of Othman or claim it's true love or epic love. Cik Thom's love was true love. Omar's love for his dad was true love but I doubt Othman's sincerity in loving his wife and son.

Bak kata Pakcik Mat Nor (one of the surviving Malay sailors in Liverpool who I know so well.He knew Othman who died in 1966) sailors are full of adventures..they only think of their parents (read home) when they encounter bad storms (the turning point in Othman's life too). We will never know why Othman didn't pulang or sent money (although the film said he thought Cik Thom had married another). Takkan tak singgah tanya? Main lari je ke?

I also find it annoying Puteri Aishah tu dok sebut Ot-man for Othman instead of Osman. 'th' biasanya bunyi 's'.

If you have not seen it, go.It's not too bad if you have nothing to do on a weekend.

2 comments:

Iskandar aka DR Bubbles said...

I watched Hantu Kak Limah instead. Hahaha!

I read Omar's account in our school's memoir book project even before the movie is out. Shared it on FB and ramai yang berebut-rebut nak beli. Dah habis dah stoknya yang disimpan oleh Prof. Abdullah Hassan. Dapatlah 10 copies untuk siapa yang pesan.

Faridah said...

I planned to go see Hantu Kak Limah semlm but Abg Nik mcm too tired to go.Bagus ke?

I think the whole truth wasnt told in Pulang.But it makes a good debate why Othman didnt pulang or didnt write more than he did.Mungkin dia tak tau menulis.Maybe those postcards were written by his friends.Itu sbb very short.Byk sgt maybes which makes it interesting to analyse.