Sunday, September 24, 2006

Ramadan

It is my favourite month cos' somehow I am in control of time (or feel so) I have more time to connect to everything outside work. That's the wonderful part of it.

But still...I have some nice memories of my kampong..mandi sungai (bathing in the river berkemban as an 8 or 10 years old girl) Best ooo...balancing yourself on the rakit was an experience too.The rakit didn't last for my gal to experience.The river is no longer a recreational place.

So when Alfian documents a dying kampong, I could relate to it.People have left, the old surau is now abandoned and drug addicts are everywhere.

When Jai and I showed the bedok (shown in the play) to our kids, they went blank.They could not recognise the kemenyan scent (Gene bakar kemenyan in one scene).My daughter asked, "Bau apa ini, Ibu?" Jai's grimaced, "What is this nasty smell?" How do you explain?

Can we bring back our kampongs so that our kids do not feel so culturally alienated?

1 comment:

Faridah said...

I know Ramadan is a month to observe patience,moderation etc.I could not help it..I lost my temper with colleagues at the lab.

Yo, I was so mad...but let's not go into that.I think everyone was stressed up.So many things to be done the last remaining weeks of a semester.And I have never been known as a patient woman when it comes to getting a job done.It's like fuelling fire!

Driving home..5 missed calls from all over (I had to take over a colleague's class and had put ph on silent mode)

The sad news was: Dr Latifah passed away.I don't have details yet but I had wondered why she didn't respond to my sms yesterday

May Allah bless her soul.Al Fatihah