Sunday, September 10, 2006

School Reunion

Last night I was at my school reunion (Mahmud Secondary School Raub).It was organised by Batch 1973 (I was of Batch 1980).I was there cos' the President's sister was my classmate and she said they needed to fill a table and could we please share a table? (at this point, I wasn't aware that it was not actually open to all..only those celebrating their 50th year).For old times' sake, I said OK although the idea of sitting up all night with middle aged friends, whining about stones in the kidneys or weight they'd put on or rising cholestrol level..wasn't that appealing. :)

Anyway...

I met a few friends who I had not seen since I left school in 1980.They all have done well in their lives...(the boys kawin lambat..some baru dapat anak!the most intelligent and popular boy sampai sekarang tak kawin2.One friend said it's becos' he's a stud..too many women and not knowing who to marry or sees no need to marry)We carried the spirit of celebrating Msian multiculturalism at the reunion (I was the only Malay who turned up at the Batch 1980 table.The rest were too busy working on meeting deadlines I guess.Or busy with young kids.Or taming down grumpy husbands!)

But I value my school days friends (esp those from my younger days..friends from MGS days who would eventually be at MSSR.They were at the reunion too)They helped shape who I am today.We had gone through life together.We may be of different race and religion, but sometimes we are like blood sisters.SF whose first marriage failed some years ago is now remarried and I feel for her.I share her happiness and I pray it will last.The boys...my mom used to complain apa la budak2 ni datang pagi sangat beraya! But they never failed to turn up for ketupat and lemang every raya.I promised them this year it would be no different.Please come eat your ketupat and rendang.After 27 years!

We often speak of racism in Msia.It is hard to be racist when you feel like brothers and sisters.And I think we need to instil this amongst our young ones.

Our teachers (well into their 60s and 70s) were there too.One teacher said many of them retired as teachers not because they didn't have any options in life to move on but because they truly loved teaching.I almost cried at that.It is true..I think the teachers we had were of a different class.They laid us solid foundations and it is no surprise that amidst us were the second richest man in Hong Kong...MDs and CEOs of this and that...

As a Malay, I had learned commitment, determination and diligence from my Chinese/Indian friends.I hope they had learned something from me too. :)

2 comments:

Faridah said...

Many of us at IIUM (esp those in the English Dept)were caught by surprise to read today's paper about a former colleague (before he joined the corporate world) marrying a famous model.The wedding reception was pretty elaborate.

We'll wish him and the new wife a blessed life.

Faridah said...

today I heard from Lem and Kim Leng (this after an email tip from Lip Leong, returning from Dubai).Lem lives in Vancouver and Kim Leng in Oregon.We have not met for so long.Kim Leng said the last time was at my wedding.I don't even remember she was there! (sibuk kawin)Lem said no one had called him Lem for so long.Ha ha.They all changed their names but it's hard for me to call them anything but the names I knew.Lem is willing to travel to New York City to meet up with me and family next year.I can't get an easy visa to go to Canada while on another (it can be done but am too busy to go through the hassles of filling up a form, queuing up etc.

Lem used to be the brightest in our Science One class and he sat next to me but we were so oh innocent.We never spoke except when necessary.Lem hardly spoke to anyone.From his email, he is still the intelligent youth I knew.

Kim Leng is married to a guy from Hong Kong but has happily settled in the US.She is still as peramah as before.Even in emails!

It's funny how we have all changed and gone separate ways and yet NOT changed that much.I hope I'll meet Kim Leng again.