Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Another fun evening at Indie Scene Cafe

Sharanya Manivannan is a new poet friend I met at the British Council workshops I attended. She's born in India but grew up in Sri Lanka and Malaysia.Very2 talented and artistic.She handcrafted her own book of poetry called Iyari.She reads (or performs) well too.
Find out more about this inspiring young lady at http://sharanyamanivannan.blogspot.com/

Sharanya has kindly invited me to read at her book launch on Friday (Dec 22).It will be at the Indie Scene Cafe in the Piccolo Galleria (between Lot 10 and the KL Plaza, she says). It will begin at 7 pm.I guess I will do my Maghrib therelah before the 'readings' (by right we should be 'performing poetry')

For those who have read my Art of Naming: A Muslim Woman's Journey (2006), can you suggest which poems you'd like me to read/perform? I had done 'Balancing Acts in Hanoi' and 'The Death of a Great Man' (cos' they were favourites with a few people). I know Sharan likes 'My Veil,My Body' piece which got anthologised in Sarah Hussain's edited book Voices of Resistance: Muslim Women on War, Faith and Sexuality (2006, published by Seal Press, USA). Sharan said she saw the book at Kino at RM60.The copies Sarah mailed out never reached me (she said when we meet in NYC, she'd pass them to me). Kotlah kena rampas by the kastam cos' some of the writers tulis dgn bold-nya pasal their sexual experiences as Muslims living in their various locations.I pun terkejut juga bila baca reviewnya dalam amazon.com.Kat US, Muslim writers ni berbagai.I will write about my findings from there later, InsyaAllah.

3 comments:

Faridah said...

Report of Piccolo Galleria's poetry reading/Sharanya's book launch.

Syok gila.It's because I met and listened to so many young poets.Sharanya did very well too.Everyone loved her 'You brought the Sri Lanka in me'.

I did a duo with Dato Shan after reading a short one from my Art of Naming book.A few people said they liked what they heard.Shan and I wrote the piece over emails last nite.I think it came out well.I adopted the voice of a young Indian grandchild.Shan played Thathar (Tamil for grandfather)

Beep me if you want a copy.

Faridah said...

I did.Why are you in the hospital? What happened to your ph?

It was just to thank you for the orthodontist link.He was one generous man (he didn't want to accept payment for the consultation work!).He gave us a convincing second opinion and looks like Z will have to extract her teeth no matter what now. But at least we are satisfied with the explanation.

Thanks.Hope you'll recover soon.

Faridah said...

Me wear braces? Lebih baik aku jonggang! I love what God had given me. :)) But Z is so beauty conscious (typical teenager today).But now she's not sure nak cabut ke tidak.

Anyway, macam tu la pompuan ni.Last week, three 40-something women close to me got divorced cold bloodedly by their good for nothing husbands.I told them it's not a loss on their part.Will catch up with you on this when we meet.Take care.We have no other option but to take care of ourselves.