Sunday, March 25, 2007

Wayang

You guys/gals must watch this movie Lives of Others (German movie which won so many awards termasuk best Foreign Movie at the Academy Awards recently). Wikipedia spoils it all by revealing what it is all about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lives_of_Others

Sebastian Koch is truly convincing (kalau dia jadi 007, mesti kita suka).And so is Ulrich Muhe.The movie has English subtitles.Lucu juga pi US baca subtitles in English.But what I think is missing is the brutality of the East/West Germany divide.You don't feel it so much in this movie.Film ni tak violent (which I like). I think that had the movie been made in Hollywood, one or both of the two guys would have died tragically along with the gal lover/actress who's loved by all (men).When she prostituted herself for art (her passion), she told her boiferen who was fighting for justice/freedom of speech, etc..apa beza her and him.He also prostituted himself for his 'passion' (his struggle to free the people/country).I love that speech.But they killed her in the movie.Jantan freedom fighter tu terus hidup and became successful as a writer.Sexist sikit lah.

Anyway,Adi left today.Yohko and I went to watch this movie and then went to have dinner at a Thai restaurant downtown.Ikan Tilapia is so popular here (nama kekal).It was a nice evening.Yohko and I spoke of books, books and more books. Semalam, jiran sebelah and I went to Moosewood.Best juga. Tapi they closed early.We took the bus to Collegetown then walked up to our apts.Nak pengsan naik bukit.I nak panggil taxi je but diaorang nak naik bus juga sebab free with our university card.Manu and I yang sesak nafas.Asians don't like to walk! Christina (Germany) and Ingrid (Holland) berbatu depan kita.

I miss my car.

No comments: