Sunday, May 25, 2008

Mr. Gambus

Raja Ahmad and his guest artist, Mustapa Ibrahim
at RA Gallery, KL

Farid Ali (Mr.Gambus) and friends


Nik and I were feeling a bit lost without Z so we started to date one another again cos' staying at home on a Saturday evening seemed too much for us without our child.

First, we went to RA Gallery to give moral support to the opening of a local artist's art exhibition.Mustapa Ibrahim was his name.We met many arty crafty people.I enjoyed the banana leaf motifs Mustapa had.Simple but the paintings brought you back to earth.

Then after Maghrib,we decided to go shopping at KLCC.Isetan was having a sale.Everywhere I turned were young children.Hmm..when Z leaves home after SPM...I cannot imagine how much worse it can get.
Every Arab child I saw looked like Z when she was 2, 3, 4, 5, 6....Gosh..now I know how my Mom felt when I left home and when I got married...

We still didn't want to go home when malls closed at 10.We decided to listen to Mr.Gambus at Bangkok Jazz and have something to eat there.

They didn't start on time (this is something I hate..not starting on time) but when they did, I think it was worth waiting for.I never thought gambus could be so jazzy.Farid Ali (Mr.Gambus) looked like he's a banker.He sang better than he played his gambus. :)) He didn't open his mouth too widely as most singers I had seen but he had nice voice. Very intriguing, that.

Truly nice voice! . We left just before 12 but not without me saying to Mr. Gambus and his saxophone guy, "That was fabulous."

But his gambus can't beat Dennis Lau's electric violin. :))

I have a meeting at 4 pm today.You know it's Sunday here.But a woman has to do what a woman has to do.Work.
footnote: I had re-written this piece and if you notice everything is now in English.I received an email from Charlotta in the US saying her students want to know more about me after reading my book In the art of naming.Ahem. So folks, this blog has to go international now. :))

3 comments:

jooli said...

I have to write my comment on this since I too had a good experience last night, entertained by gambus music: Pak Ngah's group. It was at a wedding. Pak Ngah was playing the accordian and a gambus guy sang and played the gambus. When he sand arabic songs, he made his voice like 'an Arab'. I don't know if you understand, but that's how i feel it was.
Had tried to go to Mr Gambus' stint 3 weeks earlier at MPO, but did not get tickets.
BTW, Pak Ngah sang a naughty song. It was the first time I heard it. The lyrics are (some):
Malam pertama, malam pertama malu-malu,
Malam kedua, malam kedua tutup lampu,
Malam ketiga, malam ketiga (sorry, can't remember)
Malam keempat, malam keempat tak boleh tau.

Faridah said...

ha ha...that's not naughty but gatal. ha haha.

You know Jooli..gambus is better with ghazal although as I said Mr Gambus bila nyanyi lagi sedap..but his gambustar (gambus plus guitar) has taken him places termasuk a project with UNESCO.I think some things are best left being original.Tak payah nak fusion fusion je..buat rosak telinga.I am a purist in that sense I guess.

I suka Fadzil ghazal.Feeling habis bila dia main, kan? Dulu kecik2 suka tengok dia kat TV.Is he still alive?Namanya pun entah iya entah tidak but his music lingers in my mind.Orang Muar tau lah.

Faridah said...

A sample of Fadzil Ahmad's magic can be downloaded here http://www.asiasound.com/content/Listen/BestTen

Z KO first round at the Turkish Language Olympics (her rivals, some 500 of them, were mostly schooled in Turkish sch.She only had 6 months Turkish classes.But she gets to sing in the choir for the finals rep. Malaysia.That means she will be on Turkish TV, live)I hope she'll wear her baju Pahang cos' the batik wear tu dia tak tau nak wrap although it's so elegant.