Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Our new PM

exoticising the Malay woman's body


There has been very nice things said about our new PM in the last few days in local papers (I think the media is overdoing it....sikit2 cukuplah.You know what they say about giving too much..it'd give reverse effect mah).I don't know if it's a funeral or a celebration they are covering, with news flooding like that in our local media.Remember when Tun Razak died? The coverage was like that too.Segala lapis manusia they quoted...from drivers to babysitters to God knows what else.Sikit2 cukup le bang.


And must Datin and family be in the news everyday? Kang orang tanya sapa PMnya.I appreciate getting to know their children (first time baca).I'm glad they go to universities and seem to be independent.I wish them well.If they behave like Najib and siblings when their Dad was PM, cerah masa depan! (do not impose your presence while your dad is in government.Nanti rakyat hormat lagi.Or be like Tun Hasmah, gracefully staying in the shadow and yet doing so much in her quietness).


I have been busy at UKM today.Viva budak PhD.It's nice catching up with news with Ruzy and gang.It's been quite a while since we last met.She showed me the book she's in, with a group of researchers on indigenous women in Msia (edited by a guy from Oxford).The content is highly researched (on jamu, traditional massage etc) but pictures are highly exoticised.I can't believe it ada lagi orang Barat who enjoy seeing us like that (berkemban tepi sungai).Ruzy said she put up a protest juga and some pics (like orang asli in cawat) were taken out. Geez!


Jess Jackson is visiting us this month.Kena tanda calendar.Jesse bukan Michael Jackson lah! Ini budak suruhan Obama, I think.

6 comments:

Faridah said...

Pakcik Abbas died at 3 pm today.Al fatihah.I drove back to Bentong almost in the rain.My regret: we didn't stop to visit every time we passed his home on the way back to Raub the last couple of months.The last time I saw him was at Selayang Hospital, he was asleep having just found out he had stage 4 cancer.

Now he's no more.

BICARA RASA said...

takziah to you and his family..

Faridah said...

sudahkah anda buat pap smear tahun ini?

zubin said...

Salam Takziah. Al Fatihah untuk nya, Abbas.

Amboi banyaknya isu, ada dua tiga dalam satu posting, nak jimat ruang ke?

No komen on PM and wife, nanti jadi lain plak, aku ni suka mencarut! oh bloated face, opps sorry, boleh tak melatah dalam bahasa Inggeris! sebab cosmopolitan gitu, tapi rooted la!

Aku tertarik dengan buku tu, exoticising of Malay culture, part of consumerism and globalisation and needs to be identified and brand. So the reference is always back to the old Malay World. But then if I am working on malay culture and tradition how can I not be labelled as exoticising. In my dance work I called it Tradition Based Contemporary, but what do you think. I am in search of modernity in tradition or is it modernism. I am also interested in the paper that Ruzy wrote about altered history, where can I get that. Is it online?

Faridah said...

Kita ni typical Melayu..bila tulis macam oral tradition lah..you start with one story and tengah2 satu cerita, masuk pulak cerita lain.Hahaha.Sebenarnya memang nak jimat ruang.Although ruang is free.Masa is not.Ruang masa. :))

You email Ruzy and ask her abt altered history.

I think anything traditional when flaunted would be exoticising.Tradition is lived.Habis tu kalau kita org dah tak mandi tepi sungai dan berkemban tapi buku projects us as such..mestilah namanya exoticising kan? You do dance, that's showcasing. :))

Tapi kalau you do dance and mengada-ngadakan apa yang tidak ada, THAT's exoticising.So ingat, jgn mengada-ngada. :)))

zubin said...

Salam, crazy classes on cultural studies and post-colonialism. Be great to talk to you when I get back. Still looking for the paper that Ruzy wrote, I was told when we started talking about altered history in "PGL" the musical and any creative works like Faisal Tehrani. My whole idea of promoting the invented tradition and indigenous knowledge. and also "Tradition Based Comtemporary" performance. I personally quite concern with Altered History in Creative Works. We will talk. Read my comment on Talentime at www.saloranseni.blogspot.com