Wednesday, April 29, 2015

School guest speaker

I went an hour early because I was not sure if I'd get the location right.Found it easy cos' it was not far from my home.Damansara Damai 1. Nama sedap but the school, said Mdm Pam, was a B grade.They have 300 students (Form 5 sahaja).140 came to listen to me.Luckily my short notice preparation went well, alhamdulillah (well...I had studied the texts earlier but the actual materials for presentation was done yesterday, polished up last night).

Teaching 140 unwilling, literature resistant crowd! Nak putus rasa nyawa I. First I had to correct their mindset.They had to repeat after me "I love Literature!" beberapa kali then one anak Cina jerit sekuat hatinya "I hate Literature!" Haha.Dia meluahkan isi hatinya.But I had to be firm.I pegang kerongkongnya (metaphorically speaking) and said hey look, if you keep saying that, your system will shut down and nothing you do will make it easy for you to answer Section D (20 marks je but that can determine your pass/fail, B or A yada yada).I looked into his eyes and said firmly now say after me: I love Literature. He did! :))

So you know it was like that...trying to make the horses drink dirty water.But you know what..the second hour I let them think and discuss, form their own opinions (something they never do I'm sure since sekolah tadika) and the things they came up with...memang dasyat.If only we are not afraid of young people speaking up their mind (look at what happened to the boy who said I hate literature>haha.Niat I baik OK? Bukan nak menindas..I want him to be able to write something in his Section D nanti).

Penat weii ngajar kat sekolah ni. My heart goes to all para pendidik negara. My prayers for all of you for staying back and affecting change on these poor kids.

Balik UIA, one of my River project friends showed gambar hantu pakai boots during Earth Day's tree planting day.Will put it here in a bit.

No comments: