Monday, July 14, 2008

English postcards

ah..English roses...

Duaa, a PhD candidate from Egypt.She showed me halal restaurants in Leicester (banyak.They even had Islamic Banking there.A strong presence of Muslim population, second after Bradford, I think)


Emma, giving her thank you speech

Prof Carole Davies is from Cornell (far right).Anak dia model kat NYC.

Anne and Umeru are from Manchester


At the conference lunch before the fire drill



Part of Leicester Uni. campus



This UK trip is like returning home (sadly, I have no time to visit my alma mater in Liverpool) as I travelled on the train past so many meadows, farms, seeing horses, cattle, swans, ducks and boathouses on the river.

Seeing Chanita again is great.We cooked, walked along River Camb and met this couple who lived in Tanzania but moved to live in Cambridge for almost 40 years now. Chanita and I then went out eating Jap. food and sat in the cafe, reminiscing our Ithaca days and catching up with news and all.Maria and her got to be friends over the phone and I am happy for both. :)

The conference in Leicester went well.The uni. was a beautiful one. Lotsa green and roses.Very comfortable student hall.But the friends I made...woooooooooo...seronok.Some people came up to me and told me my paper (on Kahf) was inspiring but I'm surprised how Freud is still fashionable here.Got cornered by psychoanalysis talk.I don't buy those crap.I think it can be culturally incompatible.

No comments: