Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Boy from Amman

Zohdi (not his real name) is a sweet looking young man. A bright student who won a scholarship to study at a local uni but he had a dream. To excel and to study abroad.His father, a peneroka, loves him so much that he'd give him the world (he's the only son in the family).

So Zohdi went off to Jordan to study.He was interested in everything.His brain was like a scanner on good days and like a sponge on others.

However, Zohdi went crazy without finishing his degree. They 'karan' his brain to subdue him.He's on medication but his dad says on bad days, he'd punch his dad, wanting to knife him.

But everyone loves Zohdi.He's very chatty and lovable.Yesterday I had the honour to meet Zohdi in person.I felt so privileged.He had a syurga look on him.Ever smiling and ever transmitting love and peace to those around him (when not in his 'knife' mood, I guess).

He saw Nik wearing a Korean T-shirt."Brother, you should be in Korea", he said.I thought that was so 'clever' and so 'alert'. There are moments when he'd go into his own world.Gelak sorang-sorang.And I feel the pain of a father.

I write this in memory of the boy who went amok in Virginia Tech a couple of years ago and another recently (same uni). What is it about young men (bright young men) going mad? Is it emotional repression? Or salah parents and institutions where they study, driving the kids to insanity?

As a teacher and parent, I have my worries.

No comments: