Thursday, February 26, 2009

Kementerian kita

poetry evening at marie's

Brenda, looking great at dinner

Rough day.Another rejection from another Ministry which is supposed to assist the poor rakyat make a name of Malaysia.Not only that...they treat you rude.Tak mau cakap on the phone, cakap tengah driving.Tak nak reply email, buat bodoh terus.Surat dihantar buat-buat tak dapat.I will email the Ministers directly on this.A small protest must be made.Duit rakyat must go back to rakyat.

Then some smart aleck at the uni told me in a very patronising way, "I do not know how to argue with you.Your tone of voice is too high for me." He's suggesting I was being hysterical.

Gosh...I was just making an enquiry and making a point why something should not be.I got really pissed off!What is it with men? I could have told him kalau bercakap tu, suara boleh kuat sikit tak? Please don't mumble? But I didn't cos' I know..mungkin itu suara yang Allah telah kurniakan kpd dia.Mungkin kotak suara dia dah rosak....

Lepas tu he rang back trying to be helpful over my problem.I appreciated that.But had to tell him firmly,"You better get used to how I speak cos' this is how I am.".I mean how can anyone expect you to change the tone of your voice just because they do not know how to handle a complaint (an enquiry actually). Penat jadi orang Melayu!

Thank God to my Fulbright circle...the reception dinner held for a visiting poet at one of the US Embassy attache's homes was a comfort.Prof Brenda Flanagan read us her poem of a homeless woman in Hawaii (and what was her imagination was a real thing!Even years after she wrote that poem, she got to meet that homeless person again who went to listen to Brenda read a poem on her.Then the lady got upset...maka berlaku lah kejar mengejar...Brenda went to say sorry if what she cooked up about the homeless person hurt her.She asked the woman who she was.Apparently before she went mad, she had a life...in New York City..was a psychiarist...Brenda tak sempat tanya dia macamana dia boleh jadi gila)

Anyway, some 20 people were invited (of different walks of life).I had fun talking and meeting everyone.You tau ada 300 orang kerja kat US Embassy.Macam satu Faculty, huh? Siap ada clinic sendiri and I was sharing a table with Brenda and this nice sincere looking doctor.I felt like I was back in Adelaide.We had lotsa dinners like this (lepas tu was-was makanan ni halal ke tak..ada alcohol ke tak...hahaha.Cook mereka dari Vienna tapi budak pelayan dari Bangladesh tu kata ada yang halal..stew tu campur arak sikit.Hmm alahai...)

Ah well, besok I nak email Shafie Afdal and Azalina nak tanya apa pasal banyak kupik nak bagi duit assist rakyat marhain nak buat simposium ni pun tak boleh.

4 comments:

Faridah said...

1.Will get to meet the KSU to discuss my grievance with Heritage.

2.Will get to present my proposal at Pelancongan.


Syukur, there's hope yet.I hear Dato Shafie Afdal will be the next Ketua Menteri Sabah? Who will take care of Heritage?

zubin said...

i am connected to this site for pasca-kolonialisma into from mph, must be intro to the dbp book, ur interview with mr.briliant scholar, farish noor. Tapi u cite pasal tak leh help from ministry. frankly i also had few turndown from ministry, tourism apa lagi. tapi kalau banyak2 org komplen pasal ni, we have to bring it to public la, tapi suratkhabar tak layan plak, so how to live as an artist here

Faridah said...

Tourism helpful lagi dari Heritage you tau.At least dia nak panggil I buat presentation.There's hope.

Are you sure it's me and Farish Noor? Bila pulak I ada contact pakcik tu? Eee...I bukan peminat dia.Dia bukan scholar pun!He would state the obvious yer know.

Mana link tu.Bak I tengok.Silap orang ni.Ni mesti Faridah lain ni.

Faridah said...

I love Dato KSU Heritage.A very gentle man.Halus tutur bahasanya.Met up with reps from ASWARA and Jab. Budaya (love them too).Well, if I don't get any money, I am satisfied.I had given my best to get some assistance and my voice heard.At least we have all agreed to work together/assist one another for future projects.