Tuesday, March 16, 2010

To all caregivers in the world

I read Juneita Johari's article for the first time about a week ago.She wrote about her experience taking care of her dad.Very moving piece but it helped me see things in better perspective.It tamed my sometimes wild soul.

Last Sunday she had her column on the subject, I, Caregiver.This time on her mom.Again, very moving.I simply had to write to her to thank her for her enlightening and informative pieces.She replied right away and after a few exchanges, we are like saying this to one another: we need more people like you.Hahaha..I love her fiery spirit.Nothing like mine.Dia lagi berapi-api.She has been an activist for a long time.

Read Juneita here
on her dad:
http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/articles/20100307113713/Article/index_html

on her mom:
http://www.nstp.com.my/Current_News/NST/articles/20100313182232/Article/index_html

4 comments:

jooli said...

I agree, I've read her articles as well. Inspiring to those living with/ around older people.
You should also read the article by Crazy Horse, NST, March 13th about the other end of the spectrum, a child's; namely Syafia, who was abused to death recently.

Faridah said...

Jooli ~ there are news which I cannot handle: child rape and other physical abuse of women of all ages.I can't cos' it will leave me feeling helpless and hopeless.Knowing and not being able to help is the worst kind of mental torture for me.But crazy men should be brought to justice like those mad tabligh men who rape young gals.Byk sunnah lain depa tak mau ambik: kawin pompuan tua mcm mak I tu ke, pi war and save destruction of Afghanistan, Iraq, Palestine ke.

Did you read abt them not giving nafkah to all 4 wives sampai one wife terpaksa jual sabun curi2 to earn some money for their basic needs? How come women champions kita tak berbunyi sikit pun? (yang kawin mishar konon nak save women tu?)

I think more educated women should turun padang and volunteer to educate Muslim women of their rights supaya once exploited, they know it is exploitation.

Maybe we can start with uni gals?

jooli said...

Maybe uni lecturers are bogged down with work until they can't think of doing much else apart from marking and counseling students? Heh heh. This is one way in keeping these (potential) people quiet.

Faridah said...

I know.But those who are involved are busy too but they work smart..like their involvement outside relates to work at uni.(am thinking of Kak Oni, a Prof of Comprative Religion who does a lot of interfaith dialogues and other community service work).

I think we have to think of how we can kill 2 birds with a stone although why we wanna kill birds, I don't know!