Thursday, March 04, 2010

Just another juggler

As I move in and out hospitals in looking after my mom (taking turns, that is) I bump into so many other children in my position...late night emergencies..long travels to the hospital back and forth.It really warms my heart.There is hope yet in this world as kindness and love continue to be weaved by loved ones for the beloved. It is not easy as they lose sleep, skip on working hours etc.

I had my first night at the hospital a couple of days ago.Eversince my mom got to be unwell, I would do anything but sleep at the hospital.But I decided to.If my teenage daughter could do it (and she's so spoilt), I could too.It was not easy as I packed my stuffs.First I packed the travel mat.It's too huge to carry/bring over.The Pak Guard would not allow me in.Then I packed in the comforter..tak jadi juga.Finally I brought the sleeping bag. The floor was hard and cold.That nite, my mom's room had a male intruder (kita tak tau nak tutup the sliding door so it was left open).Luckily my mom was still awake and one of the nurses raised the alarm (by chasing after this guy and asking loudly sapa ni?)

But generally, HUKM Hospital is so unfriendly (except for the doktor pakar.They are very professional and kind). But can't say much about the nurses and young doctors. Ward nurses chat loudly during patients' sleeping hours.I think patients with heart problem might mati terkejut! They are also a bit lazy.At one point, my sister yang kena cuci my mom until another kind nurse said no..you don't do that..get the person in charge to do it (and she waited to make sure the junior nurse did her work).

But nursing is tough.I kesian juga nengok their nature of work.But they work for 7 hours only then get the shift.Not bad what? But they don't seem to put patients' needs first.

Yang paling sedih was the evening my mom was discharged.I was alone (my siblings takda since depa kerap tidur kat hospital) with the new Bibik. I asked for a wheel chair from the ward.Nurse tu kata kena tinggal IC and I have to bring it up again.Helllloooo..I'm handling a sick old lady, a new Bibik yang tak tau apa2, nak tinggal my car and go up 6 floors to return the wheel chair? Where is compassion? If not ethical behaviour that befits the nursing profession?) I went down to get the wheel chair (a long way OK?).Pak Guard kata tak boleh sebab it's after office hours.Haiyoo....but lucky for me I found one tak bertuan.So I took it up and it's easier to return it back cos' my maid boleh pulang depan entrance door.

A longgggggggggg way to go , baby, when it comes to healthcare in this country.

6 comments:

jooli said...

Oh, so things haven't changed since I had my appendix out some 10 years ago (tho it was at another teaching university). Cerita sikit... As I was wheeled into the operation theatre, the stretcher banged hard into the door and I said "Owww". The accompanying nurse said: "Sakit? Nanti saya bagi sakit lagi." Sighh
Anyway, do all that you can, F and the best. When it's my turn to be caregiver, give me the moral support too.
"Ibu, engkaulah ratu hati ku"

Faridah said...

Jooli ~ that's really awful! My sister said one old Chinese woman got hit by one of the nurses.The old woman said, "Haiyooo...ini macam saya mati lah.." The pregnant nurse screamed back , "Bukan awak mati, saya yang mati!". I macam tak percaya but my sister heard it! And my sisters quarrelled with the whole ward (1st ward before we got transferred to another ward) cos' they didn't do anything when my mom's bp got to be so high and she was in her first wave of delirium.Panggil doctor pun lambat.When the young docs came dia boleh cakap...we also don't know what to do.

Inilah padahnya when we forced reluctant bright students to be doctors.Their heart isn't in the profession.Maybe they just wanna play computer games and be hackers!

When Z nangis sampai bengkak2 mata saying no to medicine (despite her dad praying for 18 years every sembahyang 5 waktu), I think we should bow out and just let her do what she wants (Psychology! Or Corporate Law or Econs...er..ni my options...)

dill said...

apabila bekerja hanya bagai melepaskan batuk di tangga, inilah jadinya.

arwah stok saya dahulu, dibiarkan menjerit kesakitan manakala nurse hanya memandang. nasib baik ayah ada di situ, mrncuba untuk menenangkan atok. dan pada masa yang sama, cuba untuk memanggil nurse yang bertugas.

waktu itu, terasa mahu mencekik semua nurse di situ. teringin hendak menjerit, "kamu semua butakah? atok saya sedang sakit!"

Faridah said...

Dill ~ too many stories of this sort.My niece yang doktor tu pun pernah called up the ward and said if it's your grandmother, would you do this to her? (after I complained they didn't feed my mom on 2 occasions.I could not figure out why they didn't feed her till this day.I asked if it's doc's instruction.Nyet)

But Sg Buloh Hospital is the best so far.The staff are so polite.Even at 3 am!

Nazhatulshima N said...

I couldn't help bursting into tears reading all these stories at the hospitals as they bring memories which I have experienced last year.
I wrote about it in my blog entry http://nazhatulshima.blogspot.com/2009/03/siaran-ulangan-9-10-februari-2009.html

Faridah said...

Shima ~ I read your story.I felt your pain as I read it but thought how lucky sudah ada seorang anak menunggu di syurga.Jangan ditangisi!

One of my friends pun macam tu.Stillborn baby.Tak silap dua kali dia kena.Tapi dia sangat tabah.I went through 5 miscarriages (semua very early and no heartbeat.The first 2 months)I think wanita sangat tabah dalam apa keadaan sekali pun.Thank you for sharing.I will respect waktu melawat from now on.