Saturday, January 29, 2011

Farewell party at Langgak Golf

I thought I'd drop by, say farewell to NZ High Commissioner His Excellency David Kersey and his lovely wife Gillian Das, and leave.
It was hard to leave early.People at the party were nice to chat with. :) Jumpa lah duta2 negara2 yang lain.I distributed our peace and conflict studies seminar flyers.Ada duta nak datang but I said kena bayar juga. Terpaksa buat muka tebal.

Azran Osman Rani, CEO of Air Asia X was there too.This guy's wittiness could be easily passed off as arrogance.I tak suka sangat dia for this. He always makes anyone talking to him feel stupid. :) I asked him betul ke Air Asia crashed kat Kuching (I tak baca papers so when my friend said the media didn't cover the news, we all thought papers dah kena beli).Azran explained what happened.I said then their PR should have explained this to their clients who now fear flying AA..Azran kata front page in NST and ada dalam Star also.I said oh.I don't read papers anymore. I said my friend said she looked for the crash news.Azran said if she were looking for the crash news, memanglah takkan jumpa.He said (nicely though) that the plane skidded but no one was hurt.Duh! Doesn't that make you feel stupid? :) But you have got to give it to this young chap lah.He's very alert, very quick.Very sportive too.

I also met this interesting lawyer who said something flattering to me: you look very intellectual.Hahaha.I said pls have some more food (mcm party tu aku yang punya!) Kita planned nak buat some projects bersama.Ni yang syok bila network.Got so many ideas to do this and that.With Puan Sri Elizabeth Amar Leo Moggie of Badan Warisan also ...and the Lady High Commissioner from Africa pun ada projects bagus nak buat.If only I could walk faster!

Footnote on David Kersey: I think like most NZ High Commissioners before him, David is very friendly and humble.He served 4 years plus in Malaysia (it felt like a couple of years je).David has done a lot for NZ-Msia ties and I like what one of his friends said in his farewell toast to David: what do you give a man who's leaving Msia and coming back again (his wife, Gillian is of Msian origin and they do return to KL pretty often).Well, good luck to both David and Gillian and thank you both for your hospitality especially in hosting our Asia-Pac dinner 2 years ago.Your kindness will go a longggggg way.

No comments: