Monday, August 14, 2006

Booksigning and talk at MPH

 Megamall Mid-valley (12/8/06):

Came the day, I was not well.But luckily I found back my voice. But there was quite a crowd (mainly my students, former students who would bring in their own students or family members) Some of my colleagues in the Dept also came (the delegation headed by Prof Quayum, our HOD). There were also new faces...those who came because of the advertisement placed by MPH.

We had a good time reading.When I was too 'tired' (still under heavy influence of paracetamol, antibiotics and cough mixture!) to read, I let the audience do it (Syeela and Deela had to do their share as planned). Moomala's students from Sek. Integrasi Gombak were the most spontaneous and sporting. They had travelled on the LRT to Bangsar for the occasion.Earlier Eric Forbes wrote in Quill that publishers would only publish what the market wants and definitely it will not be poetry. I guess this is one of the reasons why I decided to publish The Art of Naming: to go against the market because what's flooded in the market has never really catered to the needs of our soul. Maka, jadi lah kita semua manusia-manusia berhati batu yang tidak boleh merasa apa-apa perasaan.

It was a fun one hour at MPH and it was poetry we did!
I wish to thank everyone present (one former student had travelled all the way from Kuala Trengganu for the occasion!) and those who had helped out whether directly or indirectly.

God bless!

9 comments:

Faridah said...

weiii...Kuri kata nanti boleh datang lagi!

Nazhatulshima N said...

Dear Dr Faridah,
Congratulations! Glad that you had fun session. I'm so proud of you. I went to MPH Mid Valley on Sunday and saw you book and felt like saying to everyone ," This is my lecturer's book!" I hope one day I'll be doing that myself. I have attempted a couple of poems, both in English and Malay in my blogs. What do you think?

Faridah said...

Salam,

1. Kpd Pekebunilmu: t.kasih dan saya harap di lain kesempatan kita boleh berkongsi ilmu lagi tentang sastera. Saya tak sempat pergi ke sesi Raja dan kawan2 pada Ahad tu sebab masih tak sihat.Saya pasti ianya berjaya juga.

2.To Shima: oh iya ke? aiseh, patut mai hari sabtu lagi!

InsyaAllah you will be there one day.Just remember, Rome was not built in a day.I also, dah nak pencen baru keluar satu buku. :))

Nanti saya tengok gubahan2 baru you itu.

ufukhati said...

Puan Faridah,

...another step into the world of words & poetry....and another after this...congratulations....

Faridah said...

Saudara Darma,

The kids could relate very well to poetry.I was pleasantly surprised.There's hope yet for Malaysia! By the way, have a look at this website http://www.poetry.nl/read/english/

I hope one day I'd be able to join the Poetry World Festival in Holland (held annually).Nampak macam meriah sahaja.

Wan A. Rafar said...

Saya memang ada di KL hari itu dan berhajat untuk hadir ke MPH, tapi tak sempat. Anyway, congratulations!

Faridah said...

Ya, MPH di Midvalley agak sesak tetapi di situlah dikatakan khalayak pembaca lebih dari mana-mana cawangan.

Tapi saya fikir hiasan air di tengah2 Courtyard itu agak mengambil ruang.Kalau takda, macam2 kita boleh buat!

Nisah Haji Haron said...

Dr. Faridah,
Sangat setuju. Fountain tu memang menyemak. Patutnya, fountain haruslah yang bersifat mudah-alih. Ataupun terus tak ada pun tak mengapa.

I think we should write personally to MPH and tell them about this.

-Nisah Haron-

Faridah said...

Ha ha..kita je yang nak memandai-mandai tentang hal ni, Nisah.Saya dah minta pihak MPH alihkan tapi mereka kata rosak pulak tile lantai mereka sebab benda Allah tu berat, tak boleh diheret ke sana - sini.Saya rasa kalau takda sesi bacaan, orang suka duduk di laman buatan tu.Bila ada sesi bacaan/syarahan je yang terasa sempit sikit.Tapi cuba lah tulis sekali lagi, kot2 terbuka pintu hati mereka.Kita pun suka nak melepak kat situ kan? Saya tak dapat hadir sesi Ahad lalu sebab balik kampong mak buat kenduri sambut puasa.Entah mengapa dia buat terlalu awal...mungkin sebab cuti sekolah.Tolonglah share tips macamana nak tingkatkan jualan buku2 kita.