Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Merdeka Day

It's not easy to wish Happy Merdeka Day to all of you here.Does this make me less a Malaysian?
For many of us, it will be just another public holiday.For others, it'll mean late nights and fireworks.Not too far from where I live, some celebrities (top singers) will lead a street party.My family and I never attended any of these in the past despite pressures made by my teenage daughter. I fear for my safety.Also I hate walking cos' parking would be a problem in events like this one. In the past, we would hold family get togethers: barbecues, steam boats and whatever new recipes one would have to show off at the gathering.We held doa selamat also for the wealth, health and happiness Allah had given us.

It's 2006 now.

A lot of changes have taken place even within the family. We try to take turn caring for our aged parent.Some would be too busy to take that ride home on what used to be a public holiday ritual: balik kampung, visit mak.I was hoping I could take time out the coming semester break but no....I have to stay back at work and attend an in house training (for 2 of the 3 days break we have)...It is at times like this that I begin to wonder of how much value we place on attending to family needs or having respect for workers' need for a break! Looks like I will have to wait a wee bit more before I can visit my mom. Comes puasa, hubby will be away in London for 3 weeks and without him, no visits anywhere.I don't drive long distance balik kampung...wough, real tough!

On a different note, it was a shock to discover how a student had to change her name to a Mat Salleh name to attract customers at the bank! (not owned by Malaysians) She and her Indian friend(also given a Christian name) were not too happy with this kind of discrimination so they did the wisest thing:quit their job at the bank. Not too long ago the nation was shocked with the tudung issue thing (of how a tudung-ed woman was pressured to leave her position cos' of her tudung..the company was also not owned by Malaysians)

I think it is a real case of "I sound stupid if I speak Malay" (literally). So ladies and gentlemen, am I so wrong for not being able to wish you Happy Merdeka Day?

4 comments:

Faridah said...

I spoke too soon.My daughter and her 4 cousins plotted and put much pressure on me and hubby so in the end we had to take them to see the street concert and merdeka fireworks! We were lucky the crowds at the Curve were cool and we were right behind the stage so we could see the artists closeup (hardly knew any of them except Anuar Zain).The fireworks appeared to be low budget, mah but not too bad lah.The kids loved them.We left before the show ended to avoid the jam.Got home within reasonable time but my neighbours didn't get home till very late cos' of the jam.Told my gal, lain kali no more.Rimas!

Nashé Abdillah said...

I received an invitation via sms to play tennis on Merdeka night. Then I replied, "Waras ke tak? Orang bukan Melayu pun nak celebrate malam Merdeka tau." :)
Yes, we did have the Merdeka fireworks, alright. I even celebrated with them, a total of almost two thousand students!

Nashé Abdillah said...

Ops, I'm not implying that the non-Malays are not celebrating Merdeka. Don't get me wrong. It's just, based on my casual observations, Merdeka celebrations are more 'densely populated' by Malays, especially teenagers :)

Faridah said...

Ha'ah Nashe.That bit abt "org bukan Melayu pun nak celebrate Merdeka" buat I terkejut juga.Kang dituduh racist pulak! I see what you mean..maksud you org selalu beranggapan budak2 (org tua pun ramai) lepak malam merdeka selalunya dari kalangan Melayu.You are saying this is not true? I agree.At the Curve: the race ratio was almost the same and yes, we are Malaysians! :)