Sunday, June 22, 2008

A busy weekend

The Osmonds going down the memory lane



Donny yang masih nampak muda remaja .Dia ni very tertib and actually, pemalu


Marie yang masih cantik jelita.She's very witty onstage.Anaknya dah 8

the osmond brothers celebrating their 50th year in show biz, on their last world tour





It's spent with a mix of guilt and joy.


Just before the Osmonds' concert which I had looked forward to, I was with some lawyer friends enjoying popia, somewhere in Gombak.


We started discussing the latest in the country:

1.About legal demands made by certain quarters of the society over the use of words like "Allah", "kaabah", "baitullah", "solat" in their holy books which Pak Lah some time ago said OK boleh dicetak dalam bahasa melayu.Mungkin so sure of iman orang melayu di kala ini.


2.I think if the tujuan is to mengelirukan, we have to voice our concerns.Very often my non-Muslim friends argue, apa pasal orang Islam boleh buat dakwah terbuka but they can't? Then they start to quote article 11 perlembagaan without mentioning clause 4 which nyata melarang mengembangkan agama lain selain Islam to Muslims.

Sometimes depa ni nak guna equal rights/human rights arguments but sometimes I suspect it's only a one-sided kinda human rights.Mna blehhhhh!!! Kita di Msia mesti hormat menghormati.Ikut je perlembagaan negara..rule of law..jgn selective memory je why we are all here, accommodating each other, each a bit of earth.


Sultan Johor dah bagi sebijik to that DAP MP yang konon nak tunjuk protest over hegemonisation of all races over pakai songkok yang dia mungkin lihat cuba memelayukan atau mengislamkan dia? Apa punya narrow mind lah.Tak pernah dengar pasal dress code? Setiap tempat/majlis ada dress code.Ikut je le cos' you are part of the game. Life is not an island.You are not answerable to your constituency sahaja.The whole network of society/nation is wider than just a small hamlet in Johor.


If DAP has always fought for equality atas dasar perlu memikirkan budaya dan bangsa lain, apa when it comes to integrating one aspect of budaya Msia, depa nak tunjuk lawak kasar pulak? Kalau bukan atas Pakatan Rakyat, majority takkan pandang this ultra racist party DAP walau dengan sebelah mata daa. Penang, better watch out next election if DAP does not re-invent itself to suit local and contemporary climate/culture (as should BN, PAS dan BA).


Anyway, going to Genting was an escapism from all this.While we work hard for world peace and peaceful co-existence, benda2 macam ni buat I fikiran kaciau.

At Genting Arena of Stars, Donny and Marie Osmond masih mengancam.Mungkin botox and liposuction.I am sure Donny cat/dye rambut dia.Too dark brown.No grey hair at all like his older brothers (ada yang datang bertongkat) but we still had fun, going down memory lane.We were a bunch of screamy 40s and 50s. Semua jerit when Donny sang Puppy Love. :)) Bila Donny kata they were here 28 years ago, orang sebelah I jerit balik, "We came twice for you!" Wah..peminat fanatik. :)

I saw Marie close up at the theme park but tak sempat nak bergambar.Donny came that close to where we were sitting (he went to meet the crowds while singing, jumping from one seat to another; Marie pulak panggil one male audience to sing with her and allowed him to hug her while she sang.Lucky animal!)


Some pics. and Donny on YouTube

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi!! Was there at The Osmonds concert, where were you seated? Alah, Marie always says dia ade anak lapan, 5 of them are actually adopted, 3 are her own with her former husbands Steven and Brian. But I guess you already knew that. Wasn't it fun? But I'd rather have more of Donny! LOL!!!
I was really miffed (geram, LOL!!!) with the two people who sat behind me.Kita nak bagi standing ovation so well, I stood up le but these two behind me motioned to my friend and I to sit down and had the cheek to say "there are others who want to see too." I was like @+%^&#@!It was obvious dey all bukan fans, dok diam je, some more, Canadians (omputih) pulak tu residing in Singapore. I felt like saying who are you to tell us to sit down?? padahal row dia semua berdiri tak kata apa pun.Actually the two rows behind me were reserved for S'pore fans.
That aside my friend and I had the thrill of our lives meeting all of The Osmonds and that was the icing on the cake for me ...and I've waited 36 years for that moment. it was pure magic!!!sigh

Hashimah

Faridah said...

Hi Hashimah,

No..I didn't know some of Marie's kids were adopted.I did sit all nite wondering maybe from 3 husbands (Annabelle told me she had 3 husbands although I read earlier they said 2 husbands..satu baru bercerai last year...hahaha..look at us..macam takda isu besar lain nak cakap! I feel 15 again!)

My husband pun bising cos' he wanted to hear more of Donny and Marie's oldies (they will perform as a duo in Las Vegas towards the end of the year.Nak pergi?? Nanti I cari my friend Pon who lives in Vegas kot2 dia nak join kita sekali.Hee hee..I mengacah.Tak kuasa aku,fanatik gila gitu)

Donny dah jadi atuk, you know.Waaa...I checked his website.Ada peminat tanya so what is the name of your new grandchild.New? Waaa....

Unknown said...

Hi Faridah!! Donny's new grandchild pompuan nama Emery Ann Osmond. Sedapkan nama dia? Anyway, my friend and I would love to go to Vegas asalkan RM tu ade. What with fuel prices shooting up camne lah nak save...barang2 lain pun naik. A chinese couple who were sitting next to my friend Nur, are planning to go to L Vegas to catch Donny and Marie at the Flamingo. Kalau you minat nak gi my friend Nur nak arrange package to LV sekali dgn ticket to D n M show, nak? Boleh cari fans yang minat, ramai2 gi. Definitely not this year but perhaps next year.But she can start planning now as she knows a travel agent who has handled celebrities in the past and therefore tau selok belok Oklah it's getting late...talk to you later then and thanks for responding.

Faridah said...

hahaha..blogging can be fun esp when you meet new friends.Thanks Hashimah for dropping by my blog.Are you in KL? I know some people travelled all the way from Penang for the concert.I tak la gila sgt mcm tu so Vegas is out of the question.Baik pi shopping kat Paris or lazying in one of the islands in Greece.Donny, after all, is happily married (uwaaa...) lol.

Nanti Neil Sedaka or Paul Anka dtg, you suruh your friend book me good seats yah (kali ni I tau..best seats would be the aisle seats..tempat depa lalu lalang!Masa Donny melompat2 tu, I missed by 2 or 3 seats (uwaaaa)

Unknown said...

I actually stumbled upon your blog whilst scouring the net for news on The Osmonds. And you blogged something about the Osmonds so there!
I am now in Seremban, dulu I dok KL, blaja KL, kahwin kat KL and had ny daughters in KL!! LOL!! My parents are still in KL so memang familiar dgn KL.
Ade yang dari Singapore datang pun nak tgk The Osmonds.
My friend bukan lah boleh book tickets for shows tapi dia nak work with this travel agent and Osmond representative on how to go about creating this Las Vegas tour package, kalau minat cakap ok?

Eh, I nak ask you, did you get loads of pictures during the concert. Will you be a dear and send some to me please? I tak ambik sebab before that ade announcement kata tak leh take pictures.We were seated kat depan senang sangat orang nak confiscate kalau tertangkap. So I handed my camera to my hubby who was seated kat PS2, tgh2, so I figured kalau dia ambik gambar from there camne ushers nak take away. Dapat le snap tapi not so good, ade dua tiga yang ok. Boleh tak you send some? Pas2 I nak send to Jay's PA, of course you will be acknowledged as the one who took the photos. She will then put them up on Jay's webpage.Boleh ye?

Oklah...gotta go.
Take care and have a great day!

H

Faridah said...

Nanti lah I tanyakan my other friends if they had better pics.Mine unfortunately are not that great but a few more on my daughter's blog.You download jelah ya.

http://www.victoriousgal.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Okay, thanks Faridah. Tomorrow ntv7 on The Breakfast Show ade full interview dengan The Osmonds plus they will show clips of the concert.
Just thought you'd like to know.

Thanks once again.
H

Faridah said...

Alamak but I leave work early! Must get someone to tape it for me. :)

Thks for the alert...kot ada nampak I dalam konsert tu nanti.Haha.

Unknown said...

You beli Star tak? Today's StarTwo features an interview with 4 of the 7 Osmond siblings and there are nice pictures to go with it too.
Remember to set your video recorder for tomorrow!!

H

Faridah said...

and I got a new YouTube of Donny anak Pak Seman on my blog.Enjoy!

Weiii..maybe we ought to set up Donny Fan Club for 40 and above fans? :))

Unknown said...

Faridah!Grab today's Harian Metro, there's a write-up on The Osmonds in the paper's pull-out.

Can set up one...fan club Donny ni memang lah terdiri dari 40 and above pun...LOL!!! Semua mak2 and grandma2 dah. hehehe!!Tapi masih gila2!!

Eh you ni English prof ke? Sorry kalau English I teruk. I think not too bad la, sebab I've been speaking the language since I was a toddler!

Talk to you soon!

H

Faridah said...

My husband so sporting bawak balik star cos' it carried the osmonds' news (tanpa I suruh..so well-trained eh?lol) I enjoyed reading the article..it gave Jimmy a nice angle.Selalu kita tak pandang pun budak kecik Jimmy tu kan? Kita nampak abg dia je, kan?(w/hal, Jimmy is as old as me!)He's actually the mastermind yang buat2 tours ni semua.Dia pandai cari peluang biz (look at the way he persuaded everyone to agree to go on Oprah a day after their father died...Oprah buat tribute world wide on their father.I thot that was really clever.Gamaknya kalau depa pergi uni, yang paling cerdik Jimmy.Donny, I suspect will be an electrical engineer sebab tak pi sekolah pun dia pandai buat wiring rumah dia)

You want to take our discussions on the Osmonds on email, tak? I mean...I have a reputation to take care of...hahaha..I can't allow my students to see me still love-struck dengan band org2 tua mcm depa ni.Dalam kelas, I selalu sebut Justin Timberlake to show how cool I am.LOL!

Email me at Faridah dot Manaf at gmail dot com.I'm sure we can have longer emails on the topic for days!

Tengok2 jadi juga kita ke Las Vegas.Seramnya!