Sunday, June 08, 2008

Family and Friends

Jenny and Swee Mee at lunch

Z with a fellow participant
Z and Sakinah as Malaysian reps
Istanbul from a cable car


Saturday was a busy day for me. Z was scheduled to arrive at 9 am.We took leave on Friday thinking her flight was on Friday (only to be told on Thurs. that it was on Sat!) So we spent some time doing the garden. Then in the afternoon I had to rush back to the uni for Krishna's PhD thesis defense.So takda cuti sangat lah.

Anyway, on Saturday I had also scheduled my Reunion meeting at 11 am.I figured sempat lah balik from the airport but Z took more than an hour to clear her luggage (KLIA's management is so bad..for what is supposed to be a sophisticated airport, the luggage clearance is so lama.I was told once that the workers sabotaged work, for better pay.Wallahualam)

Anyway, I am so bersyukur Z came back safe.She has many stories to tell.Access luggage fee sampai close to RM2K! (bawak barang2 Olympics dia like selimut yang beratnya berkati2.Sigh).

Some pics of her in Turkey (she was in Istanbul, Ankara and Gaziantep, travelling like a superstar, she said.The Turkish Language Olympics is a big thing in Turkey.What I like about it is the business community coming together to help promote Turkish language and culture that they have organised 6 olympics without fail -- sponsoring 550 students from over 100 countries, this year.Airfares, hotels/meals semua paid for for 3 weeks.Anyone keen on registering for next year's event, contact Mr. Turgay at the Turkish International School for further enquiries.Your child must be between 12 and 18 to qualify.They will teach your child, Turkish, for 6 months every weekend, free)
Read the kind of excitement your child may have here http://www.victoriousgal.blogspot.com/
See also http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/6/15/education/21467438&sec=education

Ahhh...my Reunion meeting lunch.I met Jenny after almost 3 decades.Tak nampak tua langsung dia ni.Then Sivanes mula buka cerita lama2 when we were at school.I tak sangka I was so naughty at school and they suspected it was me (at 15) who threw a note to 'harass' a temporary male teacher (one that said 'you are so handsome, I love you'.Haha).I tak ingat langsung benda ni and it's so uncharacteristic of me to say benda2 pelik macam tu to strangers. But Sivanes said she had evidence I wrote to the Revolvers (in the form of a postcard) cos' I liked Freddie Fernandez (then) and how Freddie wrote back thanking us for writing such an interesting postcard (I wrote it with Sivanes).Entah iya entah tidak Freddie who wrote back.Entah2 his peon. :))


But we laughed so much all afternoon just reminiscing what we had done and NOT done.Jenny just discovered at lunch that her gynae (a very famous one now and who had delivered her two babies) was the temporary teacher she didn't like at school.The gynae did ask her if she were from Raub during her first checkup.She didn't connect at all then. We thought this was so hilarious.How could she not know???


Some pics.

6 comments:

Small Talk said...

Dear Faridah,
Nice to hear that u hv met a few of ur classmates. Think of a way to hv a list of the long lost Mahmudians/Raubians. I hv come to know of a few who are really somebody. One of my classmate is a world class guitar maker.
Salam

Faridah said...

Really? From Mahmud? Sapa nama dia?

And when I looked you up -- pressured by Shanta, who'll now give me free lodging when I'm in London in July-- I didn't know you were a big shot yourself.Senang ke nak beli tanah in Pahang?? :)) I'm seriously thinking of buying a small piece of land now (to bercucuk tanam and ternak ayam.Takut Depression kaa apa kaa, I can still survive).

Kat Raub baru2 ni byk tanah dijual utk jalanraya.Sapa ada byk, kaya!Raub is fast developing (the town.Kampongnya macam tu juga.Dari sari ke sari I nak komplen kat Dato Ng Yen Yen but no time)By the way, Dato Ti Lian Ker tu pun budak Mahmud.His Malay is so good.Dulu kat sekolah dia masuk debat Bahasa Melayu.He was an MP for 15 years tapi in the last election, depa ganti dia bukan sebab dia tak popular tapi sebab lama sgt.Polisi MCA.I spoke to him on the phone recently.Anaknya ramai juga tak silap.You mesti kenal dia? He's my senior by one year.My house captain also (rumah hijau)

Faridah said...

Dear Shanta,

Sometimes I wonder what God's bigger plan for those He put in touch with! (maybe I'll get some advice from Dato' Sham on land sale in Raub).I know from you, a free lodging in London for 2 days!

You guys just get to read my blog, free.I have nothing else to give. :))

Anyway, I look fwd to meeting you as well.I may travel on the train with a Belgian friend so don't worry about driving me all the way to Leicester.Karine and I will be at the same conference.

Speedy recovery on the recent surgery.

Faridah said...

Hi again Shanta,

I'll look up the web in a bit.Linda emailed me and told me about the Abu Dhabi trip.Have they left?

I'm not so much into shopping these days (plan to travel light this time)so don't worry too much.But I'd like to know what is playing at West End? The last time I was in London, I saw Phantom of the Opera.

Ahh..I've seen the West End website.Your rating on the following?

1.Zorro the Musical
2.Chicago (I hear it's good)
3.Dickens Unplugged

Grease looks tempting. :)

Faridah said...

OK...anything you want from here?You asked about mosquito net earlier..yikes..I cannot be travelling with nets..they will think I'm a terrorist! Hahaha.Er..anything else?

Faridah said...

The book I will give you with great pleasure.:)

Will email you my travel itinerary soon.