Friday, August 01, 2008

Hare Mai Waikato

with some people from NZ High Comm, Uni of Waikato and local private institutions

Profs Maya David (UM) and McLellan (who speaks fluent Malay, having lived in Brunei for 17 years.He's British, now teaching at Waikato)


Where I learned to be independent

Waikato River

(kalau summer, banyak water skiing/cruises here.We rented a motel by the river 4 years ago.Ahh..nostalgic nya)




Jangan marah, folks but this evening witnessed another get together with friends of yonder years at the Royal Lake Club (dinner was salmon sebesar one whole chicken.Nak termuntah I makan.Could not finish up.Tak sedap).I was there cos' visitors from my alma mater in New Zealand (er..I have 4 alma maters, harap maaf di atas segala confusion) came to town.

Unfortunately I was the only alumnus invited cos' the rest could not come at a short notice (some I rang at 6.30 am soonest I hear from Ir. Yong that I could invite other alumni.Bagus betul kerja dia bagi short notice macam tu). Nura Che Din who thought someone died when I called so early said she just got discharged from SJMC (alamak!). Badri mungkin terlalu sibuk with his work at Ericsson. Epah langsung tak jawab phone. Zurina too. Campak je handphones tu ke Sungai Klang weh kalau tak mau guna.

Anyway, I had a good time (the social animal I am). At least the Kiwis are much more sociable compared to the Ozzies (except for Geoff). Lawak juga depa ni. Two of them were saying how the role of parents is now reversed.Uri, yang dari NZ High Comm tu kampong dia di Masterton! What a small world!

He said the trend is now parents leave home to live abroad and their kids telling them to be careful living in strange countries. Their kids are sad to see them go cos' their babysitters are now gone.But ada juga anak2 yang so encouraging cos' it'd mean free holidays abroad and a stopover to places they wanna go e.g. Nepal, Cambodia etc. Can cut costs.Lawak betul.

I went back to NZ about 4 years ago after I left it in 1986. It has changed so much but the family and I loved it.Rasa nak visit balik but the truth is, I don't even have time to go holidaying in Malaysia.

2 comments:

zubin said...

did u read the editorial page by johan jaafar on saturday and tuanku abdul aziz on sunday both nst? I am discusted by johan's comment about majority of bloggers are leftists! what a stupid comment? or may be that is just a trap.

oh NZ, my friend (www.kiplirahman.blogspot.com) went to NZ, came back and told me to find work in NZ, but my NZ friend who is working in Japan now said I would be dead there as they close shops at 4 and 6pm, is it true? we are really spoiled with 24hrs mamak, 7-11 and so on!

Faridah said...

Takut Kak Ani marah if we tibai Dato Johan. :))

Saja dia nak provoke tu.But memang la bloggers leftist.Mana lagi boleh go left? But blog I tak le.I jenis orang baik. Hahaha.

I don't know about now but it used to be like that, NZ pukul 5 pm je dah tutup.But they do have late nite shopping (tutup lewat dari 5 pm).Last 4 years, we had nite life, still.Restaurants buka sampai lewat.Still many choices.Tapi tak leh lawan Msia negara kita yang tercintalah...pukul 3 pagi pun macam hari siang.Mat rempit tak tau tidur.I guess that is why we are still here!There's LIFE (kalau tak kena langgar dgn mat rempit)

Wei, I was in a meeting with big bosses today.Ada berita baik about setting up fine arts centre nih.When can I introduce you to one of my big bosses? Am applying for API Fellowship for 2010.Baik kita berkelakar (ie act on wht we set up to do) before I get busy with my own research (kalau dapat).Tak dapat pun, I would still go on leave in 2010.