Friday, April 06, 2007

Williamsburg, Virginia with Francis

Spring at Williamsburg,Virginia
Dinner with Francis' Ramayana's cast

My brother, Francis in the Chapel at my talk


The talk

With Prof Sonn and Prof Ismail Abdalla

Muslim students at W&M
The College of William and Mary is a prestigious public school ("with a reputation of being a private school").It's second oldest in the USA after Harvard and had produced 4 US Presidents. I am grateful to Allah for the opportunity to speak to a group of intelligent students and distinguished staffs.Check their website http://www.wm.edu/
My brother Francis Tanglao-Aguas was my host.I gave a reading of my book to a group of Theatre students and later a talk on Islam and Literature/Arts/Culture including my work on Shakespeare at the chapel (in which many great speakers had spoken).I am humbled by the experience and the openness of W&M inviting diverse speakers to their campus.
We had Indian cuisine at Nawab's (the fish curry was so yummy) and the most memorable episode was lunch at the Cheese Board on DOG street (Duke of Gloucester).Good food and company (Francis' intelligent kids were there.Anthony I think will go far in his career later in his life.So bright and sensitive).How we laughed over the high drama at CB.We had the right composition for a street riot! (Anthony was in military uniform, Francis in songkok, me in tudung and the players were of diffferent age and ethnic group.I will write a poem on this)
We then cooked dinner at Francis's place for his Ramayana cast (13 students came).

No comments: