Monday, May 04, 2009

Post peacebuilding workshop

our bonfire (we got one of the pakcik drivers to find us woods from a nearby hutan.He and Azilee tolong belah kayu.Kenangan kerja kat IIUM.Semua boleh!)

Boys working on peace

Peace ain't easy

Prof Hassan Ibrahim at the opening

There were many surprises over the last 3 events which the office helped organise: International Muslim Youth Camp, the 3-day peacebuilding workshop and the 1989 homecoming tahlil and dinner (hey, we got Mr Gambus and gang to perform at the dinner at a very reasonable price.Thanks Farid Ali and his manager, Paul Augustine..not the judge.I loved Farid singing his jazzy piece 'Fly me to the moon'.) You may like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEUkXccPzrk&feature=related

On Sunday, a few reps from the workshop had lunch at my house to discuss post-workshop actions.I left them with Baibonn to work on these (I had a wedding to attend to).We have some ideas: we want to start with our homefront, working on environment and needy groups.Nanti nak ring up Jeff and Dr Bubbles to help give ideas/projects.

The 3-day workshop went well.I'm so pleased with the whole thing (my colleagues worked very hard too.Azilee sampai belah kayu api for the bonfire! Kesian!) For the first time in my life, discussions over the 3 days really made me feel like this is a world class university (the level of maturity and intelligence of our students, etc.Too bad the Malaysian kids prioritised balik kampong than staying back to be educated and learned stuffs they never get from CNN/BBC/RTM/ASTRO)

I also had fun talking to Bro. Wilmot on Muslim Aid's projects.He's also very knowledgeable over so many things.He reminded the kids over the sins of suicide bombings and killing innocents.There's nothing in the Quran that condones the act, he said.Also I liked what he said about living with contradictions (we cannot expect total purity in our society and that fanaticism caused the fall of Islamic civilisation in the past.He also reminded all that there is only one Islam and that which is compassionate, just, broad-minded and one which prioritises humanity, not just Muslims).I love this man.

No comments: