Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Great time at SEGI


Meeting SEGI undergrads reminded me of my own time with IIUM undergrads (esp the year they organised a national English conference...) At SEGI, the Psychology students were solely responsible for bringing in speakers to speak on Creative and Critical Thinking Skills.When I first received an email invitation, I asked if they had confused me with another Faridah.I told them I was not a Psychologist (although I did take some Psychology courses during my undergrad years...partly sebab lecturer dia hensem, partly also a couple were great scholars).But the rep said they found my name when they googled Critical Thinking.Hmmmph..maybe the few topics I included in my PhD's IOK on De Bono's 6 Thinking Hats plus Jamal Badi's work on Critical Thinking in Islam. But then again...as a Literature person, we do Creative and Critical thinking allllllllllllllll the time so yes..I qualify. :)) I'm glad the government is going to incorporate Lit classes in primary school.We'll breed nice monsters (who'll argue without fear...fun to have conversations with etc etc)


Anyway, I had a nice time sharing findings of so many research projects on Gen Y.Frances (a CEO of some consultant company) was also a delight.I must invite her to IIUM.She's so funny and inspiring.And tak sombong.Kita sempat berbisik2 about how scary the world is with Gen Ys about to take over! And she said it was appropriate for me to talk on the topic before a Gen Y audience.And yes, we had fun. The other speaker (parallel session) said no one asked any question in her session.Mine also but you know the mak tiri I am...I cucuk sana, cucuk sini...and in the end, the kids came out and some important issues came into discussion.


One feedback I got: the kids said 1 hour tak cukup.


Hahahaah....how nice.But the kids and I dah planned for something bigger (I'll rope in IIUM Psy Society.Biar mereka network and benefit from one another).


Watch this space.

1 comment:

Faridah said...

Thanks Nisha:

Dear Prof Faridah,

On behalf of SEGi Psychology Club, I would like to thank you for taking your time out to come and speak as you open the minds of our participants. It has been great pleasure having you at the conference. I would like to apologize for any hiccups that has occurred throughout the conference. We will take the next conference to a greater height.

I have spoken to my president, and we are thrilled to about working with you and your students on the theatre performance. I look forward hearing from you once again. We will be grateful if you can keep us in touch with other psychologists for future reference.

Thank you very much once again.

We look forward working with you in the future.

Best Regards,
Nisha Inthiraratnam
Vice President of
SEGi Psychology Club
Subang Jaya