Monday, October 25, 2010

I am ready

a rare moment: few crowds here (I got my moments during
both hajj and umrah, alhamdulillah! Just pray for them!)

Folks, it's the hajj season now.


I'm ready to return to Makkah.Not on hajj but on umrah.It's been way too long.Almost 10 years ago?


I first went on umrah (Golden Holidays with MAS..then they did many foreign cities including Makkah).Many of you were not there when we failed to do hajj a few months earlier that year or that hajj season (my father in law was running a travel agency business and had been taking people in and out Makkah after his retirement with the government) But that year was the year the Saudi government decided to restrict hajj visas.I wasn't ready.Nik was eager.I wanted to do my umrah first then hajj.But Nik was so so eager.So maybe it was me that everyone didn't get to go (except the judge who went as Tabung Haji's cook..last flight.He was so determined cos' it was on and off so many times.We even chartered a plane when all the flights were gone...Imagine that? Que sera sera).


But after that failed hajj season, I went on umra with my eldest sister and my niece (Nik didn't want to join us cos' he had gone a couple of months earlier).It was the best time of my life.We had no man with us.That's a no-no to go to Makkah.But we had a family who were willing to include us as part of their family members (a young lawyer and his dad and his young family).It was like going on a holiday.Our hotel was there right infront of Kaaba.Everything was nice and pleasant.


The following hajj season, Nik and I got an offer from Tabung Haji to perform hajj.I was ready this time.I had learnt what I would have to do while on hajj in my umrah trip.


It was still difficult, folks.Hajj is a physical test with spiritual reward.It was really really hard...I had to sleep on hard ground, walk miles (OK maybe I'm exaggerating but I had to walk a long way), carry heavy bags, collect peebles in the dark ~ I could have easily picked taik unta anytime yah?, etc.Worse..the crowds...and I hate crowds.My idea of worship is doing it in a complete silence and peace, with lots of space to move around.With no one pushing and rushing their rituals,


You won't find that in hajj. But if you ask for your peace, you'll get it.Kaabah is a place where all prayers are answered. :) But not without hard work. :)

But I did it.I came back (friends said looking younger and very radiant) and told my young friends to perform their hajj while they are still young and fit.It's a physical thing.A few friends took my advice including Dr Adris (a doctor friend upnorth) who recently emailed me that he does this every year now with his family (usually umrah). He agrees that hajj is not for old people.
Let's hope there's lambaian kaabah in March/April next year for me and family. Labbaikallah hummalabbaik! I really really wanna go and do my umrah once more.
For those on their way to the holy city, we wish you a mabrur hajj.Enjoy the closeness and the spirituality of the cities (I love Madinah...much more friendly than Makkah)

5 comments:

Asma' Umm Hudzaifah said...

may Allah grant you n family ease to go to Makkah again...

you are right Hajj is for not old people. which reminds me I should start saving and reading NOW. i just heard ustaz fathul bahri relating how the prophet s.a.w faced tougher journey to makkah- indeed its a physical and spiritual struggle worth striving for :)

Faridah said...

Asma': yes, you'd better start saving up.My father opened me an account for hajj since I was 6.He taught me saving for a good cause (and I bought my first car out of that savings and went on my umrah and hajj with part of that savings as well) I think we should teach our children early the value of saving for hajj.InsyaAllah, when there's a will, ther is a way.Allah will make it easy for those who want to be His guests.Let me know when it happens and how it went.

Asma' Umm Hudzaifah said...

jazakillah khair for passing down d advice- its a good one. ive been mismanaging my money for too long- after my house caught fire only i realize all the stuff i held so dear were simply STUFF! def. gonna save n spend on something more substantial (like umrah and hajj!) inshaAllah. tx again.

Faridah said...

Asma': I am so sorry to hear of the fire mishap you went through.I know a priest who went through this said the same thing and found Islam in the process of coming to terms with the loss.

I'd advise you to do umrah first.It's a rehearsal of the bigger event (hajj).Get a feel of the place, know your ways cos' gal, when it comes to hajj, you'd need to move fast.Also beware of street cheats in Makkah and men who grope your butt in the pushing and shoving! (that is why I hate the crowds.Too close for comfort).And that is why Madinah is a great city to be.The people are very pleasant and men very decent.No wonder the Prophet loved the city so much.

Unknown said...

Thanks for this entry..Just lost my eldest bro few weeks ago and second elder bro 9 years ago and my parents decided to go for umrah this April. Gonna be the 1st time for three of us and I hope for a smooth one,Insya Allah. Will be taking MAS Lambaian Kaabah umrah package. Hopefully, it provides good umrah package.