Friday, October 22, 2010

Spanish Dreams

scenic!

great mosque in cordoba


I was in Spain many years ago.I loved the country despite it not speaking English.It was brave of me to travel alone especially taking Ave (bullet train) from Madrid to Cordoba thinking oh well, it's only 2 hours.Yes, 2 hours on Ave but not on other public transports (9 hours!) And I didn't know (for lack of Spanish) that the Ave ticket I bought was a one-way ticket (I think the guy at the counter was trying to say he only had one-way ticket for the day)

In that kinda blissful ignorance, I toured Cordoba. Went shopping and visited the oldest mosque (now a museum). People were not friendly unless they were Muslim descendants (a few people with Arab looks said hi to me).

Then it was time to go..my my! what panic..my flight would be early in the morning from Madrid and I had no transport to go back to the city.Luckily I had a contact in Cordoba (a very nice gal met at the conference in Vigo).I rang her up and she arranged for me to find a way back to Madrid (all done via phone...maybe she lived quite far from the city to meet up).I got on a coach.9 hours drive! Took a taxi in Madrid to go back to my hotel (and got cheated!)

But I caught my flight back to KL. Phew!

But I loved Spain.There's a certain something in it (other than good looking people to look at.Hahaha).Managed to catch a play ("Don Quixote") Simply fantastic!

Why do I get nostalgic now? Cos' I have a friend living in Granada who we'd like to visit.I missed Granada (another city of Islamic heritage) in my rush to visit Cordoba.InsyaAllah, when Z lives in London, we'd go. :)

7 comments:

Lady of Leisure said...

Dr,
try tengok Spanish telenovela, bahasa depa tak la susah sangat sebenarnya. I belajar cakap Spanish sikit-sikit dengan nonton telenovela hehe, bahasa dia sedap sebut..

Faridah said...

Lady: I don't have that luxury but I bought a self-taught book to learn Spanish.Never went far than hola! Como estas?

You tau, they have nice seafood/s in the coast (I went to Vigo, bordering Portugal before I meronda2 di Madrid dan pergi ke selatan ke Cordoba).Gila, you!But one warning: jangan jalan sorang2 esp. early in the morning..when drunkards start to crawl home from the pubs.I almost got molested!And no one would hear you if you scream.Orang tidur macam kita tidur mati at 3 am here.

Lady of Leisure said...

Uish, nasib baik tak jadi apa2. Dr pergi sorang2 ke from Vigo to Cordoba? Beraninya.
Btw, those places tu sesuai tak for honeymoon. ;)

Faridah said...

Lady:I pi Spain sorang2 (conference in Vigo).I pi Cordoba from Madrid (masa tu dah habis conference.Kejadian I hampir kena molest tu di Vigo..waktu tu I took a morning stroll..konon nak tengok Vigo before I left for Madrid..masa conference mana sempat nak merayau2) Madrid OK...tapi mahal gila.I think Vigo OK...tepi laut but you kena ambik train or fly to Vigo.But they say Barcelona lagi cantik.Situ ramai speak English I hear.But kalau nak pi honeymoon..pi Greece..any of the islands...Crete ke..Santorini ke...I haven't been but friends and relatives who went, would not stop talking of their Greek experience.Lagipun depa tengah murah la ni.Ekonomi very bad.If you are going, let me carry your bags..but take me along! Hahaha.

Lady of Leisure said...

Betul jugak kan, i better pergi tempat yang orang boleh cakap English unless ada tour guide. When i was in Taiwan last week, punya lah susah nak communicate. Nak pergi makan pun dia tak faham apa i cakap sampai i kene buat mulut macam tengah kunyah-kunyah baru dia faham.

Tq for your advice Dr. Wahaha, ala Dr lagi dah banyak travel, dah banyak negara dah visit kan..

Faridah said...

Lady: memang siksa if no one speaks English.Did I blog about me being trapped in a lift in Africa? (in Conakry, French Guinea) Oh that reminds me to reply the Ambassador's email.I was suppose dto call him and family to dine before mereka balik masa cuti baru2ni but I forgot!

Let me check if I have blogged about it.Otherwise, let me blog about it again. :)

Faridah said...

I have blogged about the lift episode in Conakry.What a funny entry.Hahaha.Death images indeed.:))

Have a good weekend, folks.