Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Tan Sri Dr. Jemilah Mahmood

She's back in KL (from New York City) for the conference.Dato' Shahrizat was right to say Dr J look younger and radiant.Working for the United Nations must have given her much joy.

I just had to go up to her and shake hands with her after her inspiring talk. One lady mat salleh who moderated her talk said she'd attended so many women's conferences but Dr J's accounts of relief work gave a different perspective.One UN rep spoke earlier with much pride how she managed to get Afghan women to take off their burkas and partcipated in women's projects.But Dr J in her session related how she and team gave free scarves/headcovers to Afghan and Acheh women knowing they'd never go out to get their food ration, health kits without their headgears...it shows how Dr J is respectful and mindful of local cultures and not imposing "UN values".

I'm glad she's in UN making noise for women.Made some important contacts at the conference and I am all set to combat the street kids' problem in KL.

I was so tired after Solo and Islamabad trips (mana ada rest) that I went for a quick spa after the conference at the hotel. Syoknya...I wish the lady went beyond the agreed 50 mins body massage.

Nik's away in Kuantan.It's a busy household.Wife's in, hubby's out.Daughter is also out.I need another child.Pls send one from the sky! (can I order via the net?)

2 comments:

Lady of Leisure said...

Salam Dr,
im available.. ambillah saya jadi anak angkat muahaha.. :D

Faridah said...

Lady: hahaha...tak terangkat!But thanks for offer.I need someone smaller (3 months?)

Selamat Tahun Baru Hijrah.Mine was spoilt by a bad after sale service when I sent my Honda City for service.Rasa mcm nak jual balik and buy a BMW ke.Servis Proton is still da best. :)