Tuesday, December 15, 2015

In support of academic freedom

Asalnya Aslam memandai naming me as IIUM coordinator to attend Azmi Sharom's court case starting today till Dec 17. Almost all academic staff assocs and unions turun to show their support for a fellow academic. At IIUM, everyone's busy with their last two weeks' classes before the finals.Ramai juga tidak sukakan kelantangan Azmi when talking about Islam and hudud.But this is not about Azmi.We may not agree with him but we will defend his rights to express his views secara akademik.

Akhirnya Isham and I je yg free to go (I took leave agar no one could pick an issue on how or where I spent my leave.Muahaha). Kami berkonvoi sebab he had to leave early.Session punyalah lambat start.Hakim berwajah bersih and despite wht the policeman told my two friends who put on their academic robes (polis tu kata tak boleh berpakaian gitu.Aznijar kata rubbish..mana ada perintah mcm tu dlm mahkamah), my friends terus je kept their cool in their robes. When Hakim came (dia ni nunduk je) and looked up..he tergamam kejap nengok Manan and the other lady pakai robe berwarna warni.I ingat dia akan halau or suruh buka ..but I thought I saw a little smile on him.I liked him immediately.Anak panah merata.Haha.

Anak Karpal Singh was Azmi's lawyer..dgn Imtiaz (anak my friend, Ghulam Sarwar).I stayed about an hour then I blah.Went back to key in my midsem marks and attended my afternoon class to discuss results.

Hanya Kak Ngah and my hubby and daughter approved of me attending Azmi's court session.Yang lain had more fear than me.Kak De said if my mom were alive, she would not approve.Haha.Memandai je.My mom would not know.I would not tell her.But she would find out anyway.Gosh, how I miss her!








No comments: