Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Loving your mom in her old age

When our moms are old and frail, it won't be easy to love them. They'd push you away for the slightest hurt they feel and you would have bent your back to serve them and yet, nothing is enough.

Cos' all they want is your time.Not your money.Or tasty, foreign looking foods.

I try to bond with my ailing mom as much as I can (all my siblings try hard too) but alas, all of us work.And sometimes we have to move our mom around (which she does not like).Like yesterday, I had to send her back to my niece's home cos' it's closer to her dialysis centre and there's a fulltime maid to look after her (while she's so weak at the moment).Her maids when she was staying at Sal's had left (she fired them one by one.Haha).Sal works and has no maid.So we have to place mom at my niece's while waiting for the new maid to arrive.

She cried after I left, it seems.She told my niece's bibik, oh...all my children do not want me..they put me everywhere.

Not true at all.Sometimes we leave our husbands to sleep with her nights (Kak Ngah does this a lot).Sal is thinking of taking an unpaid leave to look after my mom fulltime.I limp to her every day despite my leg pain and would stay with her as long as I can before her bed time cos' she likes me to rub minyak zaitun campur air zam2 yang Habeeb dah ruqyahkan on her body and leg every nite before she sleeps.She finds comfort in that.I think she just enjoys human touches and feels loved.I don't mind making her happy in whatever small way I can give)

But bila dia merajuk..alamak! Very da susah.Sometimes I buat pekak je.Like she'd say do not buy me any pizzas or chicken wings any more.I do not want your food.I'd say fine! You don't have to eat them! (but I know the moment I'm out of sight, she would ask Bibik to feed her those pizzas and chicken wings.Haha).I know her tricks dah lama. :))

So I guess when the going gets tough, the tough gets going.Keyword is sabar.Once you get through it, there's a feeling of tranquilty and peace inside you. You cannot put a price to that.

6 comments:

Mohd Shahrizal Nasir said...

Sangat2 mencabar ye Prof. Saya pernah lihat situasi ini masa mak saya jaga arwah atuk, sangat2 menguji kesabaran emak. InshaAllah semua itu, ada hikmah yang tak akan sia-sia. But, kena ingat juga tu Prof, next5 time...Prof jangan tolak pizza juga ye....ngeeee

Faridah said...

Rizal: saya harap saya taklah sebegitu temperamental bila tua nanti..takut juga..hahaha.My daughter selalu peringat, "Ibu, how you treat your mom is how I will treat you." Maka itu bila my daughter is around and watching and listening, I am ever so gentle with my mom.Haha.She knows we all bend our back for her g/mom.I'm not worried. :)

Anonymous Devil said...

huhu. susah ek jage parents ni. and for those who have kids they must show good example to their kids on how to take care of their parents. aiyyoo. banyak responsibilities.

Faridah said...

Xlanx: It is a value one has to be taught since young (mcm kita diajar solat, puasa etc) agar the practice is easy later on.Also kita kena tau ilmu2 lain to cope: psychology,parenting etc.

Life is a responsibility.It's what makes us human. :)

Mawar said...

Kak F
saya teringat kata-kata ini, always be nice to your children because they are the ones who will choose your rest home.

setuju, kena banyak sabar dan beralah!

Faridah said...

Mawar: betul...my psychologist friend pun kata benda yang sama..how a parent is treated is how she treated her children when they were young.Tapi sebab itu juga agama jadi alat pen-neutral..memberi guidance what to do, meletakkan kedudukan kpd yang sepatutnya: ibubapa berada di atas, anak kena melayan dgn baik (biar apapun telah terjadi di waktu kecil mereka).