Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Congrats IIUM!

IIUM is rated one of 18 excellent unis in Malaysia (neck and neck with offshore Curtin Tech..we are 2nd of 18 unis in Tier 5, beating other offshores like Monash, Nottingham and of cos' the public unis, we are first...jangan marah...).SETARA rating (or ranking) is more reliable cos' assessors turun padang checked all documents/claims.Not like Times Higher..they rank according to claims on paper.

I wish Rector does another press release on IIUM's achievement.

Anyway, I took leave today.Mula2 to accompany my mom to HUKM.Then 2 or 3 days ago Z said Shell buat award giving pulak at Sime Darby Convention.I thought event tu pagi, sempat la nak bergegas to HUKM.Sampai2..rupa2 rehearsal for the kids, event starts noon.

So I balik dulu, drove my maw to my younger sis' place.She'd send her after sch.I would pick her up after my event.

Nak tau? Shell gave 10 places je for overseas' s/ships (out of beratus who applied).Z also competed with those already in university (like this gal who went on fama s/ship...father/mother.. in Melbourne..she is in year 2 dah.One of the 10 also) Phuiyooo..very competitive.Syukurlah..akhirnya Z dapat juga something for her hardwork.I like what Shell Chairman (muda, pintar, tawaduk) said in his speech: Having all As isn't everything...Shell assesses its candidates on other merits: sports/extra curriculum, critical and creative thinking skills, etc etc.

And er..my letter to the editor came out in the Star today.On the same topic. Someone sms me pagi2 buta and asked "did you write to the star?" I gelak je.I tanya keluar ke? Walhal I used pseudonym.Hahaha.Mana dia tau?Am I that transparent?

Anyway..masa dalam hall tu..I felt it was really 1Malaysia...parents yang ada bukan dari kalangan org yang berada...(I think yang parents kaya cuma ada 2-3 couples je).Semua bangsa were represented (tapi ramai Melayu..melayu miskin tapi cerdik.Yang bangsa lain pun miskin tapi cerdik). Shell announced next year there would be another category: for the disabled (tapi pintar).Gomen tak da la nak memikir mcm ni..dia nak sokong satu puak je.Puak 9A+.Terkencek la puak2 kita nak pulun.They should read Lily Zubaidah's book on meritocracy vs parentocracy (Oxford Uni. Press).Lily is Sporean economist, now living in Australia (her book is banned by Spore government).I met her at one conference.Full of wisdom.

7 comments:

Lady of Leisure said...

wow.. sebagai anak uia saya jugak tumpang berbangga walau end up jadi housewife.. tapi ilmu masa di uia tu insyaAllah boleh dipraktikkan sampai bila-bila..
uia bukan saja cemerlang tetapi juga unik.. tambah pulak dengan lecturer2 yang hebat2...
will have to go to uia someday, nak ambik sesuatu(my degree) hehe.. mana tau boleh jumpa Dr...
:)

Humaira Bt. Raslie said...

read about it in the news, and feeling very very proud of IIUM. Though right now m doing my postgrad studies *when u r a tutor, u don't hv much choice, and not going back 2 ur comfort zone is expected* IIUM is still the best *although of course, i have not even started my classes yet, but the room-wrestling and the old school registration method so far make me pine for IIU, badly so*

Faridah said...

Gals: kan? Tulah...memang IIUM byk potential.We must aim to get in Tier 6 (outstanding) Kata ceritanya hanya beberapa mata je lagi.That close.

Lady: homemaker yang hebat! You can actually work from home dengan skills you yang ada (buat class floral arrangement, memasak, spa tips utk kawan2 yang leisure juga..we are not as lucky.We have to be part of the labour force!)

Humaira: OK, hope to see you soon.

Yati said...

Congrats to Z and the mum too..:))

Faridah said...

Yati: Thanks.And to her dad too.It was our war (to get some form of recognition for our child and I hope our war is also other parents' war).Hari ni dalam Star ada orang bantai I balik.I belum baca but this is OK.This is freedom of expression.Every one has the right to say whatever.We have the right to disagree. :)

Anonymous Devil said...

do you the link to the comment that you submitted to the star? saje nak bace. hehe.

Faridah said...

Xlan: alaa..just go to yo your lib and check semalam and hari ni punya letters to the editor.Mamat yang responded to me nampak mcm one of the JPA interviewers atau kerja dgn JPA cos' he/she seems to know many inside stories (how many candidates are sports people, how many debaters..let me tell you I know a couple of debaters and sports people yang didn't get any scholarship although shortlisted for JPA interview.This mamat is saying how co-curricular activities can be manipulated.So don't throw the baby with bath water.Improvelah the system.Very da ngok one.Nampaknya dia pun ada fear dan agenda yang tersendiri!

Org dok cakap pasal JPA...yang dia melalut drag the private sector awatnya? (and berapa kerat sgt private sector can give when it is tanggungjawab kerajaan bagi pelajaran to its people? Duit rakyat mah...bukan duit kerajaan)

I wish we have an open debate on this.Jangan dok jilat every decision made without proper study.