Tuesday, July 20, 2010

a crazy day

Z's registration day at a private college 40 mins from KL.We went around 10 am.Tempat jin bertendang and there are only two categories of students here: children of rich parents and creme de la creme government/GLC/MNC scholars.Syukur alhadullilah Z got to study at her dream college.Ini betul2 rahmah Allah.We would not be able (or not willing?) to spend that much money to finance her A Level (habis2 kita hantar dia ke HELP...3 kali lebih murah dari college ni...RM63K for 2 years and yet, so many parents are willing to pay cos' kolej ni ada 100% passes for A Level except one year cikgu besar dia kata ada budak failed.I tanya sebab apa budak tu fail.Dia kata masalah budak tu sendiri).

Hopefully Z will do well here.Terngiang2 I pesanan ringkas Dr Wee (Timbalan Menteri Pelajaran) yang beritau budak2 Shell at the Award ceremony, "Jgn pandai interview sahaja..nanti belajar tak habis." Hahaha..Z has many funny stories about her journey here.Masa nak buat medical check up, satu Dr. India kata..you have to do drugs test (which is RM100 more and not that necesary). Z argued kata tak payah.He said budak2 MARA byk fail this test and that if she tak nak buat, he would not sign. :)) Sometimes I wonder if that trace of racism is imagined or real...why single out budak2 MARA? budak2 lain tak fail ke? Z bukan budak MARA.He just assumed Z budak MARA. Just becos' dia Melayu dan dapat scholarship pi one of the prestigious colleges in the region.

Z lives in a 4-roomed chalet like accommodation, 2 baths.I thought ada dapor but it makes sense takda dapor.Nanti terbakar pulak chalet mereka ni or they will quarrel kalau ada room mate dia dok memasak je.

Masa briefing kat parents and students, I noticed that ibubapa yang datang pun hebat2.One lady sitting on my right nampak je simpoi...but she is an engineer (hubby bizness man educated in the US).Di sebelah kiri I, a couple who had ringgit sign all over them.Z's grandma pun came to hantar (Nik's mom.My mom buat dialysis kat HUKM today) and next to her were other grandmoms juga (sorang tu isteri hakim, sorang lagi tu tak sempat nak tanya tapi tengok baju dia...amboi...glamour dari cucu).In a way, it's nice to know we have 3 successful generations.In another...wah...where do these people come from! Kereta pun menjalar-jalar.

I punya conf started 3.30 pm at the other end of the city.Masa I masuk hall termengah2, they were waiting for me.My turn was on.Punya tergopoh gapah (power point tak sempat nak hantar and so there was some awkward moment as we tried to set up the power point thingy).Nasib baik topik tu memang makanan aku...I received many questions (nasib none too specific) and had raised enough interest for a follow-up conf on the topic and also a possible book project, also on the topic (biasala kan semangat conf.Hangat2 taik ayam but it'll be good to see some of the stuffs come into reality).

Sat. ada satu lagi workshop which I have to handle.Dunia O dunia..boleh tunggu sekejap?Kau berpusing terlalu laju.

2 comments:

Chocolate n Vanilla said...

Hi Dr F, college yang zafirah masuk tu is it UEM College at Lembah Beringin? That's where my house is. And yes you are right, it's tempat jin bertendang. haha. You must be so proud of her kan? My friends ramai yang pergi the same college and not easy to get a place there.This is Ezrina btw, in case you tak recognise my virtual name.hehe

Faridah said...

Alamak Ezrin..pecah tembelang...I didn't want to say for security reasons...

Anyway, tempat tu so quiet.Good for studies I guess.What happened to your friends who studied there? Are you better or are they better (UIA vs UEM...)Am glad Z sempat juga dicelup UIA for 2 months...