Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Intellectual picnic by the lake

Keynote speaker, Prof Vijay Bhatia



me, Prof Wan and Dr Arbaayah

Prof Sabariah, Prof Bhatia and yours truly


the hall where I spoke





Today marks the end of MICOLLAC's 2-day conference.Dr.Rosli Talif was the one who founded the conference..now into its 7th year.Fantastic,isn't it?



I sat through some interesting lit. papers by young academics and pgrads.We had nice discussions on racial divides etc.Oh met Dr. Ida and got into Anthony Burgess' discussions...Zul was there too and the three of us had a bit of a laugh over Burgess' time in Malaya.

Mlm tu we had a barbecue at the Village.A long day.Beeped Jerry to get him to help out with my powerpoint materials while I keluar bersukaria.Thank you Jay for a job well-done.

My plenary session went ok.I terkantoi when a participant from Canada asked me why did I feature only male leaders in my presentation.Kah3.Then Rosli as my moderator HAD to rub it in by repeating the question...cheh cheh cheh.:))


But I had real nice questions during the Q&A.Prof. Bhatia and a few others said they too enjoyed the session.Baiklah Prof B ni.Kita berdua dok sok sek psl yg sorang tu yang tak pernah consistent dalam arguments nya.

Looks like ada ikatan kasih antara UPM and IIUM now.Congrats to Assoc. Prof. Wan Roselezam, Dr Sabariah and team.I enjoyed knowing all of you.Hope to do some research collaborations with you guys soon.

Footnote:All my 6 copies book of poetry were sold out at the conference.Alhamdullilah.Should have brought more.

2 comments:

syima said...

What is the aim of the Cultural Studies project now that we don't want to talk about culture anymore, prof? i was so disturbed. I wonder what was Dr. Bhatia's response to the talk by the Finnish fella. can u share with me when you have time? nice meeting you at the conference. God bless you for standing up and questioning him.hope all is well with you, insyaAllah!

Faridah said...

And I am so proud of your scholarly work.Keep it up, always challenge what annoys us.Wakaka.

I guess our friend wants to redefine or reframe culture.I can understand where he's coming from.Europe has a bad memory of race and hence culture.The Holocaust,remember? And because some countries are so isolated, xenophobia can easily slip in...although some of what he pointed out would be true but I thought his examples were too extreme...plagiarism is plagiarism in any intellectual setting anywhere around the world or honour killing is not accepted in Islam.He was insinuating at these extreme examples,no?

But that boy who said it's ok to copy in my culture is partially correct although I would not agree takiing other people's words as his but if he rephrased arguments of others, he''s right to say it is within the culture (if he's Muslim) cos all knowledge belongs to Allah and we are to spread good knowledge...um...i'm being provocative here but do you get wht I'm trying to say?That there's some element of truth when anyone hides behind culture when caught doing it wrong in another culture's point of view.

Prof Bhatia is a gentleman..he would not quarrel openly like me with our friend.:)) But I love a comment made by a fellow academic who said to me..you had used the bakhtinian reading while our friend read bakhtin in translation.Haha, whatever it meant,it sounded cute to me.