Monday, July 09, 2012

UPM conference

I checked in at Pullman, Putrajaya late yesterday afternoon.This hotel and resort looks beautiful in the evening although the room I'm in is a wee bit odd (it has no writing desk..I have to do my work at the TV cabinet.I was told the place was built as a museum or a few museums to be exact but Putrajaya being Putrajaya...the place didn't have many visitors and ran a loss so some smart people bought it and converted it into a hotel..so spacious and exotic!)

We had dinner by the lake (at a restaurant called The Village.Like 10 times).Food was good.
At breakfast today, met Prof Vijay Bhatia (conference keynote, based in Hong Kong for the last 20 years or so) and had a very, very nice chat over breakfast.He's the Father of Genre Analysis and I learned more of GA at his workshop today.Mine went after his, after morning tea.I had to convert my intended lecture mode to Socrates style of learning (let the participants talk..with me in the b/ground asking questions and occasionally throwing in my responses to issues raised).What a wise last min decision! :)) A lot more inputs and a lot more inclusive that way.Thumbs up for Iranian/Gaza/Egyptian/Msian/Thai intelligent inputs.Ahh..enjoyed the discussions.Prof Bhatia's presence and input also added colour to what would have been a dull session had I not changed my modus operandi.Ahaks.

Fred's (from Finland) session was also interesting but I wish he had time for Q&A cos' I was a bit disturbed by his submission over dropping culture from any reference to or of multiculturalism.He said it's erroneous to say we meet culture when we actually meet people (hence, to treat people as individuals?... 16th century, isn't it? Very dangerous methinks..for this part of the world.It may work in Europe..to be culture-less is to be equal?) But imagine in this part of the world, what are we or who are we without culture (which would also include religion, I would argue). And he submitted that there's no such thing as a clash of civilisations..only clash of people.That's quite a nice argument but to advocate for individualism throughout...mmm...tak minat.Besok nak provoke dia sikit lagi.

I think Day 1 went well so congrats to Prof Wan and team.And to Dr. Daniel who picked us up in his brand new Mercz...thank you!
To Dr Arbaayah..nice touching base again.Hope to work on that book project soon.

7 comments:

Nazhatulshima N said...

Can you share with me Bhatia's keynote? I missed this info.I'll be presenting in LSP2012 in September Insya Allah.

Nazhatulshima N said...

And what's your presentation on?

Faridah said...

Shima: basically he's saying there is a variety of texts and each a colony of its own and can be colonised by the other.Each has a special language e.g letters, adverts, academic writing, etc.I sambung later? Sleepy here.A long 4 days' retreat.My presentation was on making English Lit. fun..not necessarily using the multimedia gadgets.

Sambung later.

Mohd Shahrizal Nasir said...

Prof Faridah, bolehkah share dengan saya your paper. Mungkin boleh digunakan untuk Arabic lit. :-)

Faridah said...

Rizal: tajuk tu a bit misleading..sebenarnya takda satu pendekatan yang fit untuk semua.But basically kepadatan ilmu tentang text yg digunakan maka itu fungsi penelidikan amat penting bagi guru dan murid di sini,pilihan text,cara kita mengalakkan participation pelajar adalah asas dlm kita menarik minat pelajar2 kita.Guru sendiri harus kreatif dlm menjadi badut kelas.Hahaha.Bila audience tanya apa tipsnya,saya ckp hanya anda tau chemistry anda and ur students..takda one size tht fits all.But I will email you the paper,insyaAllah.Tapi sgt lah seronok berada di kalangan mereka yg sejiwa dgn kita.Bila ur uni nak buat literature conference?Buatlah general..integrasi ilmu.

Mohd Shahrizal Nasir said...

Ok, nanti Prof emel pada saya, ya.

shahrizal_nasir@yahoo.com.my

ATAU

mohdshahrizal@unisza.edu.my

InshaAllah akan saya cadangkan pada my fakulti untuk buat satu seminar tentang literature.

Faridah said...

Saya dah hantar melalui fb.Hanya utk bacaan peribadi kerana belum polish lagi utk publication.

Maybe theme conference kat Tganu boleh jadi coastal literature (to do with the sea).Best juga kan? Pramoedya Ananta Toer's Gadis Pantai comes to mind..Hemingway's.Weii..byk sgt.