Tuesday, February 26, 2013

A day for adrenalin rush


Chandran, Ivy and IIUM fans

..mana tidak....we had Chandran Nair (and his beautiful wife, Ivy) speaking on History of Spore literature in English then and now (and he read his poems in between his talk).Nair is so humble (consistently so)..google him and you will know why I say this of him.He's also a painter.Ivy tu takda benda tak nak disedekahkannya...when I asked about Nair's 24 years not writing while living as a UNESCO guy abroad (but painted instead), Ivy said we can give some of his paintings away when you visit us in Paris.Haha..I love Ivy! Ikhlas sangat orangnya and it so happens, she and Hilary Tham were best friends (she told me Joe kawin lain tak lama lepas Hilary meninggal.Iyalah..dah jodoh but you tau la kita women, kan? Soksek soksek juga over the 'speed')

A guest from across the river who happens to be Nair's friend in Spore (literary circle) came.Syed namanya.I have never bumped into him but he said he had been teaching Psychology for 4-5 years dah at IIUM.They are of the same gen.I caught them talking about them making their own medicine from herbs (interesting sangat!Of cos' Nair was trained as a scientist.Syed pulak tau pasal ubat2 orang mentally ill nih.Kah2.Bestlah.I wish the day didn't have to end.Gen 1960s-70s ni sgt2 cool)

Petang tu pulak Prof Muhammad Haji Salleh pulak datang to speak on his creative writing.Lama I tak jumpa dia (and Kak Ani).We (Nik and I) still owe them a dinner.We'll wait till Prof is back in KL for good.He's still flying in and out Penang.

Part 2 Adrenalin Rush

Ivy was persistent that I joined her and family at dinner.But I had to balik dulu after picking up my mom from Sal's.Not sure if Nik's willing to drive back to KL after returning home from KL.But anyway, I had to pass Prof M's books to C.So we went after Isyak.Ivy ni betul lah luhur.Dia pi ajak kita berborak in their room.And it was a nice time.She told us abt anak dia yg kawin org Muslim tu (grads of Imperial College, London).I tanya camna boleh accept.Ivy no hal cos' mak dia dulu pun jadi shelter home for a fren who married a Malay man selepas being disowned by the parents.C mula2 ada resistance but Ivy said kalau tak terima,esok if C dies,she'd give him a Muslim burial.Guling2.Bestlah couple ni.We learnt much from them.I teringat aruah Hilary.No wonder they were good friends.Ivy read my poems at their dinner (of almost 10 people termasuk kawan2 mrk from Paris..org putih).She nak suruh her publisher fren in Spore republish the book tapi I kata nak buat apa.I jual sendiri,untung lagi byk.She said I ni kalau berckp dok pikir untung.CERDAS' effect,OK? Haha.But dia nak tulih review abt the book.Ivy was a journalist with her own column dulu.

Poems mana you suka,I asked.She said the women ones.I said yg I Have Asked Too Much tu tak suka ke? She said suka.I also like that one.Semua ada: tragedy,stupidity (my own),humour (also laughing at my own stupidity which can be representative of most busybody Asians)

No comments: