Saturday, February 23, 2013

Cross-cultural salon talk

I like my two new hair-stylists.They are siblings.One was trained in London, the other in Hong Kong.Cina Kedah who speak fluent Kedah Malay.Siap melatah Ya Alloh! when terkejut over one of my stories. :)

I was happy with J's work and A (who does rambut sultanah2 but says dia tak suka buat rambut artists cos' depa suka minta sponsors) understood my reservation over certain hair treatment.Dia janji nak buat inai Arab on me in the next visit (I do not want to dye my hair anymore cos' tak pasti sah ke tidak laluan air walaupun ingredients dye tu halal.My former hairdresser yg masuk Islam tu kata, sah)
Anyway, it is wrong to think women in tudung should not take care of their hair.Some salons siap ada bilik khas for tudung women.For married women, WAJIB kita bercantik2an untuk suami kita.Dan begitu juga sebaliknya...jangan dok berkain pelikat yang jarang tu ke hulu hilir in the house.

I enjoyed talking with J and A cos' they appreciated the Malay Muslim culture.They said we like the way the Malay community look after one another...how they visit old,sick people.They were referring to the Malay community in Kedah and comparing it to their Chinese one.I asked, isn't it the same? They said noooo...in ours, they look at how rich you are.If not rich, tak nak kawan. Something new for me.What I like about these two is also it's easy to explain about halal haram.But that I suppose they had learnt from their Malay clients who are practising Muslims.

J and I are about the same age so we were comparing notes about our single child.When J found out how old Z was, dia tanya my age ( ha..yang ni yg beria2 nak rekod ni).I said lah no. keramat tu.Dia screamed kata nooo....you don't look 50 at all....you look 45. Cheh! Beza 5 tahun je? Baik tak payah cakap noooo...you don't look 50 at all. Ha ha.

When in Makkah, we were told by the hairdresser (Nik's) that in Islam, haram dye rambut warna hitam cos' we'd forget about our mortality and behave akan hidup selamanya..tapi colour lain, OK (so inai is allowed).Bukan ke Rasulullah s.a.w pun inai his hair?

From some links I found that tujuan lelaki di zaman Nabi s.a.w. berinai supaya nampak muda waktu untuk berperang.I guess ketrampilan itu perlu untuk menakutkan musuh..agar kita kelihatan tough.Psychological warfare.Also outside war, supaya tidak kelihatan serabai.Sahabat2 Rasulullah s.a.w. juga inaikan their hair dgn warna hitam..Nabi tak marah pun.But you guys better double check again the source.Don't rely on mine.I selalu jumpa links pelik2.Heh.

No comments: