Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Centre of Alliance of Civilisations

IIUM launched hers semalam.Kak Oni yang jadi Directornya.Aptly chosen.So the former UN Prez of the 66th Session now the UN High Rep to the Alliance of Civilisations His Excellency Nassir Abdulaziz Al Nasser met us tadi.Chandra Muzzafar pun ada.And Prof Ariff pun ada (back from NYC for a visit.We all miss him so much.Hatinya mulia.Walaupun he left cos' he got cancer and now fully recovered..syukur..dia masih bawak masuk byk international networks kat IIUM..mulia sungguh hatinya).

A lot of discussions on UN, Security Council, Palestine, OIC.The gist was as follows:

From Prof. Kamal Hassan: our intellectual consciousness is often related to the concept of state instead of civilisational consciousness or discourse (heh.I think this was wht he said).He advised Muslim youths to transcend beyond the State as the civilisational discourse would open up the mind.

From Prof Chandra Muzzafar: we often generalise the western civilisation as an exaggerated individualism and often forget that it is the same civilisation which has a deep sense of community.Similarly, when we think of Asian civilisation, we often look at it as totalitarian.We forget it is the same civilisation which produces great individuals and groups who fight for the value of accountability,openness, human rights etc.Gandhi, Rizal, Anwar Ibrahim (ahaks..my tambahan) all come to mind at this point.

Chandra stresses on the fact that there ain't any clash of civilisations ~ only clash of interests.The crusaders didn't kill Muslims only but Jews and Christians alike.

On the issue of promoting peace in Palestine, he said while we should use UN to solve the political turmoil in Palestine-Israel, there are other means which have been effective and backed up by the masses even in countries which support Israel i.e making use of BDS which stands for Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions first introduced by NGOs in Palestine some years ago.I recall the same was done in Iran ..by boycotting the tobacco industry in their fight against the Brits zaman dulu kala.

So folks..make sure we boycott bkn sahaja Israeli products but also sekutu2nya.

No one was convinced that a two-state solution would work.State ke hapa jadah as Palestinian borders shrink daily.The only way, says Chandra, is to psyche up for  a single democratic state.Amboi kau! Takkan boleh berubah sekelip mata...and they would want to expand their territory once they are done with Palestine.Nanti menular ke Syria, Iran,Iraq, Jordan. Senangnya nak mengalah!

Kak Oni on growing Palestinian settlements: the Jewish settlements built around Jerusalem are even more worrying..it would limit movements of worshippers esp. Muslims. The problem is the ruling elites in the Arab world.Mereka ni yg tak berani nak bersatu and think of ways to strengthen the ummah.

Part 2, Centre of Alliance

Semalam wife Dr. Cassim came and when someone rang me and said she wanted to meet me, I said silap orang tu..I know no Dr. Cassim.But I said but if she wants to see me, pls show her the way to my office.

Then I recalled.Of cos' I know Dr. Cassim! (my Liverpool alumna!) MasyaAllah...I need more gingko for my memory.Pls do not give me surprise visits..nanti jadi mcm Mamun..excited to surprise2 org..bila I went can you please tell me your name again, tak ke dua2 malu? :)

Anyway, Dr. Cassim left for Gaza semalam.We wish him and his medical team well.

No comments: