Saturday, September 06, 2014

High tea with Australian PM, Tony Abbott

I think he's charming and the handsomest of all Australian (male) PMs to date.He certainly spoke convincingly of the need for Australia to learn from Asia.There's an update on the New Colombo Plan.During Oz Foreign Minister's visit in Feb this year, the students were to come over to do internships only.This time around, they are also to spend a stint at local unis.I prefer this.At least our students can learn from them.Vice versa.

Bumped into Tan Sri Salleh Mohd Nor. Then got into discussion on crazy demands by the industries of unis with Prof Ishak Aris from UPM.Eh...entah2 anak Prof Aris.Takda pulak dia declared my dad used to teach at IIUM.Then saw this elegant lady.Rupa2nya dia VC City Uni (byk sgt new unis..I tak pernah dengar hok ni).Rupa2nya dia kakak Ramli Ibrahim! Dia ni the first female Msian yg pi Imperial College buat PhD in Engineering.I was so impressed.She's as nice as the brother.Then she introduced me to Prof Dato Amin Jalaludin,VC UM.I tanya pasal kes Azmi Sharom.Interesting discussions.There were two other ladies (sorang frm medic sch frm UM and the other from UPM).Lady doc tu kata UM should support la Azmi.Dato Amin said dah drafted dah surat..belum hantar lagi.Then lady frm UPM kata academic freedom ada but accountability of wht you say, you kena la bertanggungjawab..don't harap uni to save you.Oh oh,I thought.I guess ada la betulnya.But see how Uni kat US tu supported Prof depa...6 Depts voted against the VC for not hiring Prof of Palestine-Israel studies for speaking against atrocities done by Israeli government.

But Dato Amin pun baik orangnya.He is of medical b/ground.Ramainya orang Melayu yang pandai-pandai.An honour to meet them.




No comments: