Saturday, October 25, 2008

Faces of China


2 hours away from Tibet (round sunglasses are fashionable here)

natural beauty


a look of faith


hard work but happy



single child


You will have to be patient as I try to find time to upload pics from my various travels (and adventures) in China. This includes going across a small river in a rural area in an Audi! (my other colleagues were in a BMW and a jeep!) I love Chinese countrysides.At one point we were only 2 hours away from Tibet! The mountains had traces of snow.

The friends we made and met..fulamak...simply inspiring.Aldila and Norizah and I had fun, learning new things.The guys took care of us (esp. our bags!).Dr. Musa (they had nama2 nabi: Ishak, Isa, Daud, Musa, Yusuf, etc) is very religious.Sandwich tuna pun dia tak kasi I makan!(I was very hungry masa tu). Once he was out of my sight, I bought it and shared it with Aldila (who was also very hungry). Hahaha. Tapi malu dgn saudara mara seIslam kita ni ..they speak fluent Arabic and observe the 5 prayers. Hadis2 cair kalau berbual dgn mereka.China is a bit relaxed now with diversities and the Muslims in China are free to practise their beliefs.You'd be surprised to know how rich the country is.Their cities sprawl (some bigger than NYC or cities in affluent Western countries).I don't see people starving (in fact they have too much to eat!) It's becos' they live off the land. They grow their own fruits, vegetables, rice, wheat, etc.They rear their own livestock.The people we moved with were great meat eaters. I dread waktu makan cos' I could not eat so much (there would be close to 40 dishes at one go).

Met our alumni.They are all doing very well.Ada yang control makanan halal for the whole of China.Anyone who wishes to be linked to Chinese biz community, pls beep the IIUM alumni office.We'd be happy to assist you.On the plane pun a rep. from Sime Darby dah minta kita put them in touch with our Chinese link (towkay lombong arang batu pun member kita...Dr. Aldila will be happy to assist you on this).

1 comment:

Faridah said...

I must jot these down before I forget:


1. Silk Road began in Xi'an.It started as a horse road.The chinese wanted bigger and better horses to defend themselves from teh Mongols so they looked for arabian horses (in exchange of chinese silk).I think the trade between China and Saudi was already in place long before Islam became the religion of the day.We know India was already doing biz with Arab traders during zaman jahiliah (sandalwood, etc).The Quran has many mentions of silk so Arabs knew silk before Quran was revealed.Kalau tak, mana Arabs boleh imagine apa itu silk, kan? The silk sense was already in place when the verse was revealed.

2.14th century Muslim mosque in Xi'an.I'll visit Xi'an again just to visit this beautiful mosque.I love the garden,the architecture/tranquility surrounding it.Sebak masa dapat semayang kat sini.This is my second 14th century mosque (the first I visited was the one in Bursa, Turkey, about 2 hours or so from Istanbul, across the sea/up the mountains).What amazed me was the commitment of mosque caretakers...how over the years (centuries!), over so many tyrannies and regimes, the mosques remain intact.Takbir!

3.Terracotta: there are about 600 pits yet to be un'covered'.And I met the farmer who found the first pit in 1974: a cranky old man.Nak ambik gambar pun tak boleh.He sits in the gift shop, doing autographs for 10 yuan.

4.If you want to buy nice silk, don't come in autumn or winter.You won't find any silk during these two seasons.But there is a nice silk factory not far from Terracotta Complex.Pretty expensive.You want cheap nice pretty silk, go to Hanoi.

5.Always carry mineral water bottles with you.For drinking and masuk toilet purpose. :)

6.Always travel with a local when shopping.Language is a barrier.No speak Engrish.