Friday, October 17, 2008

Single Mothers

Yesterday I chaired a forum on single mothers. There were many reps from various women's groups: from researchers, NGOs, Ministry's.Bagus meeting ni.At least the women now know where to get assistance when it comes to training to empower themselves/to be financially independent.

I sat with a lady from flat sentul.Very young single mom (tapi anaknya 4 atau mungkin 5). She told me of another old couple (in their 70s) who live on ihsan orang.No kids, no source of income and when the wife went to Baitulmal for financial assistance, she was told she could not get it cos' she had a husband.But my husband is bedridden, she said.No, said the person at the counter, you must bring him over (cakap pulak dgn suara tinggi).

I thought shucks! Budak2 yang deal dgn hal2 macam ni should be trained how to communicate kindly! So sampai sekarang the couple takda apa2 assistance.I tanya how do they eat, etc.Lady ni kata jiran India dia tolong.Nak pengsan I dengar.Jiran2 Muslim? She just shrugged.I find this so sad.

Time mcm ni I rasa I should have followed my heart when I wanted to be a journalist after SPM.Kalau I jadi journalist, I would tulis pasal ni sampai I see change! But as an academic, I can still do that, I guess. Zubin, Dr Bubbles, if you are reading this, moh kita buat something.I invite others as well esp. IIUM alumni. Duit zakat yang depa bagi tu (RM200) mana cukup.I think cases macam ni byk kat poor urban areas.Dulu masa my NGO pi ziarah flats kat Jelatek, macam ni juga.

Zubin, kekadang I rasa benda2 arty crafty ni on its own is a luxury.It has to be for a cause.I think I have come to a point in my life when I feel I have not lived/given enough.

Single mom issue ni bukan hal orang perempuan je.The guys/boys have to be educated juga (that they don't treat women badly esp. in their marriage/after divorce).Tapi semalam tu I tengok audiencenya semua perempuan..preaching to the already converted.

I wonder if we should criminalise irresponsible men yang tak bayar nafkah and just leave their kids to the women after divorce (enforcement takda).Kat Spore I'm told, lelaki jenis ni kena tangkap and dipenjarakan (kalu tak bayar nafkah).

I also wonder if the reason why the government is not serious about isu ini kerana law makers/policy makers are mostly men and possible offenders (jenis suka kawin 2-3 orang tapi tak bertanggungjawab).

2 comments:

Iskandar Syah Ismail aka DR Bubbles said...

Chantek! IRM tengah dok nak develop microcredit program for single mom pun.probably early next year take off.Kalau boleh nak buat cepat-cepat.Tapi kami di sini kaki dan tangan tak cukup lagi.

Semalam ada di Sg Pelek, Sepang.hantar eid food packs to chinese poor families.Ada satu potential for getting microcredit support.

Faridah said...

drbubbles, you jgn tak dtg jumpa I after Nov 7.It is very clear we can do a lot together (I may have the supply of volunteers..budak2 IIUM/alumni..we need to get them involved mcm Islam suruh) What better platform than those you have now.Pls connect us.I will get my colleagues (also working along this line) to join you.Jgn dok blog je, wei! :))