Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A note of friendship


Suka bersongkok even when Queen Elizabeth
visited William & Mary (the second oldest uni in the US had produced
3 US Presidents and I too had spoken there.:) ) 

I must record this.

I celebrate a 10th year friendship with my Filipino-American friend (now like a family member to us) this year.He would send me and Nik an annual picture card of his family and this year is no different.Only touching my heart was his note of friendship (received today) which reminded me of our fated meeting 10 years ago.

As an aftermath of Sept 11.

He was introduced to me by a mutual Filipino friend via email.I was organising an Asia-Pacific Indigenous Folklore Festival (APIFF) in dire need of international participations.I wanted in particular a Filipino participation.I got 2-in-1 from Francis.He was a Filipino living in the USA making that, 8 Asia-Pac countries participating in APIFF.

I had lots of challenges organising it.There was a time, he shared my tears online, giving me moral support, telling me not to quit.The world needs APIFF, he said then.

It was also not easy for him to participate.Every move was suspicious.He was interrogated by the powers that be on his side, so curious why an American subject would want to work with an International Islamic University in Malaysia.Remember, this was after Sept 11 where people in the USA got shot for being thought Muslims.

Even during the Festival itself, all forms of harassment took place (see? I'm so used to being harassed that any attempt will be BODOH, ok?)
APIFF brought people of different races, nationalities and creeds together.We were like a huge family at the end of the festival.Islam and Muslims were better understood.Better loved.You guys should have seen the kids hugging and crying as they said their goodbyes at the airport.

Only Francis and I knew how hard it was to get that done and how rewarding it was afterwards! (well..not really true..those who were involved in APIFF would know too)

Good friends (those who do not take advantage of you) are hard to come by but when you have one, say alhamdulillah.

May there be more than 10 years to come, my brother Francis!

No comments: