Sunday, July 06, 2014

Rumi in Ramadan

A long day for me...pasar, groceries and then rushed to pick Nik from the hospital (discharged today). Went to have my long over-due body massage.Ini massage yang menyakitkan (lymphatic drainage type)..Read here http://www.lomaxpt.com/treatment-spotlight-lymphatic-drainage-massage_5879

I tersilap signed for this package..looks like for the next ten trips, I will be in the torture room.Maybe I'm so stiff cos' of my long travel.

Z, her dad and I decided we'd stay put at home and Z and I ganti teraweh with baca Quran.Hopefully dapat khatam but Z said I read too slow.

Lepas tu we read Rumi to each other.I just found a booklet which  I collected while at Harvard, nompang rezeki Prof MHS who was doing his sabbatical there for the year.Z is new to Rumi.She's heard of him and knew how young lovers in the West took his love imageries literally.So I read her a few verses.Blank.I had to translate as we went a few pieces.Then she tried a piece.A debate followed.I think she enjoyed it.She said mlm besok kita baca lagi.Tak kuasa.Aku nak ke surau.

Read this:

The bird is above, and below
Its shadow is running bird-like.

A fool becomes the hunter of the shadow
Running so much that he runs out of breath.

Ignorant that this is the picture of the air-born bird
Ignorant of where the origin of the shadow is. (qtd from Poems by Rumi,  Houghton Library, 2007)


2 comments:

Iskandar aka DR Bubbles said...

Kalau saya belajar Rumi, agaknya rotan cikgu habis pecah kena piap! Piap! Bak kata ustaz Daud Che Ngah, "Tak paham-paham!" Hehehe!

Faridah said...

Dr.Bubbles: kena belajar sufism dulu baru line clear. :) But I thought kisah burung dan bayang2 burung ni agak straightforward, dak? All we do in much of our life is mengejar bayang2/ilusi..that kita lupa yang hak itu (the real burung is the imagery here) yakni kita lupa Pencipta kita and purpose of being.

Wallahualam.